Deer antler chew toys for a dog

Jeremy K

Not sure if anything is done for store bought antler chews. That said, I gave my cocker spaniel pup a shed a while back and she wouldn't touch it at first. Someone suggested I boil it in chicken broth. I did and she started chewing it immediately. Shed has lasted several months now and pup's teeth look great.

I give my dog a whole antler usually from a road kill. They work better than what you buy in the store because they are bigger and he can hold it and chew from different angles as opposed to what they sell in the store, cut up. Here's a pic of 2 that he's been working on. The one on the left he got last fall. The one on the right is at least 2 years old. He chews on both daily.

post-4978-0-72938200-1392248602_thumb.jp

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

We use Moose antlers because they are bigger and last years. Deer seem softer and my dogs destroy them quickly.

We order from Acadiaantlers.com we met those guys back when they were just a roadside stand and way cheaper. Good people

Their antlers are boiled in beef broth. I would stay away from the shovel part of moose antlers, they give the dog clear the house gas when they eat them.

Edited by Doewhacker

No worries about sharp pieces being swallowed??  Not much different than chicken or pork bones?

I guess I'm just a puss, my dogs never got any bones.  A rawhide or two but even those spooked me 'cause they inhale the darn things.

I figure it'll be one less trip to the vets if something goes haywire................................................

Oh, don't tell me about clean teeth.  I'll snap some pics of the best looking teeth on any 10.5 year old dog you've ever seen, PERFECT!

• Like 1

Nothing seems to be chipping off of it yet , it actually looks the same as when i gave it to him ,except its all slobbered on . I hear ya on the extra vet visits , this x-ray is from when he got into the cat food at my fiances parents house , he was so filled with cat food that he could barley breath and was super bloated . Super nerve racking for me and it was probably the best day of his life . Those little specs on the x-ray are all cat food.

post-2694-0-93295800-1392255702_thumb.jp

Edited by Jeremy K

LMAO,  damned dogs!!!!

They are like the freaking disposal in my sink.   JHC..........................my dog would sow all that food down also in a heart beat.

Didn't we do the thread "My dog ate this....." on this site yet?  It'll be a good one if & when we do, I promise!!

No worries about sharp pieces being swallowed?? Not much different than chicken or pork bones?

They don't break or splinter like bones do. My dog will actually grab it and shave his teeth up and down the tines. Or he will chew on the base with his back teeth. No problems so far in almost 6 years.

Edited by NonTypical