Bow tests

Doc

Is there anyone doing any standardized bow tests these days? Used to be back in the olden days, a guy named Norb (Norm?) Mulaney used to run some very good machine shot bow tests and measurements and wrote up comparative reports involving force-draw curves, hysteresis, chronographed speeds, flight characteristics and gobs of other technical performance criteria comparisons on a lot of different bows in a magazine called Archery World (not even sure that mag is still being published). I thought that was a pretty good service and was wondering if anyone else was doing that these days. It sure did beat all the Madison avenue verbiage that slants all kinds of information in a million different ways to favor a manufacturer's product.

Just curious.

The problem I see with bow tests today is that they seem biased one way or another. You cant take someones word for how a bow feels to him. Also, the magazines that do the comparisons always favor the bows that advertise in said magazine. I haven't shot a Mathews that I liked since the Z7 came out but these bows always are near the top in the tests. Money talks for magazines. There are guys on AT who try sometimes but I have yet to see an apples to apples comparison where the bows were the same poundage, draw length and shooting the exact same grain arrow through the same chronograph. I also have my doubts about how well tuned these bows are that they use. I think a lot of them are right off the rack. You will also only get a true feel for the draw, valley and wall by drawing the bow yourself. I've seen guys say the Omens draw was smooth. That draw to me is anything but smooth, it wants to rip your arm off if you even think of creeping! Best advice.....go shoot as many as you can before buying.

There is a duo that does this. I haven't come across their 2013 results largely because I am not in the market, but they use a hooter shooter and are very scientific in approach. They tested a ton of bows each year...ran into some issues with manufacturers at some point.

I wish I could remember where they posted - they had an actual website.

There is a duo that does this. I haven't come across their 2013 results largely because I am not in the market, but they use a hooter shooter and are very scientific in approach. They tested a ton of bows each year...ran into some issues with manufacturers at some point.

I wish I could remember where they posted - they had an actual website.

I'd like to know what it is too. I've shot most new bows this year and am leaning towards one of the Hoyt Carbons. Just don't know if I want the Carbon Spyder Turbo or 34.

The problem I see with bow tests today is that they seem biased one way or another. You cant take someones word for how a bow feels to him. Also, the magazines that do the comparisons always favor the bows that advertise in said magazine. I haven't shot a Mathews that I liked since the Z7 came out but these bows always are near the top in the tests. Money talks for magazines. There are guys on AT who try sometimes but I have yet to see an apples to apples comparison where the bows were the same poundage, draw length and shooting the exact same grain arrow through the same chronograph. I also have my doubts about how well tuned these bows are that they use. I think a lot of them are right off the rack. You will also only get a true feel for the draw, valley and wall by drawing the bow yourself. I've seen guys say the Omens draw was smooth. That draw to me is anything but smooth, it wants to rip your arm off if you even think of creeping! Best advice.....go shoot as many as you can before buying.

That is what was great about Mulaney's tests. They were all done with standardized, machine-shot, tests with charted results. He did keep it to an apple-to-apples method of comparison. His tests were primarily about performance and not the touchy-feely judgments. Yes, he did have his little editorial comments about smoothness and feel, but the meat of his tests involved force draw curves and speeds and trajectories and that sort of information. It did give you a pretty good idea of what bows were the dogs of the industry and which ones were putting their research money where their mouths were. I will agree that the best tests are actually shooting them, but there are so many different bow manufacturers and models to chose from that it really is kind of nice to step into the bow shop having a list of leading contenders. It kinds of keeps you from irritating a bow shop owner with a full day of bow trials .... lol. Plus it was just fun to be up on the performance of all the new entries into the market. I really do miss these tests and I was just wondering if anyone had taken over his work.

That is what was great about Mulaney's tests. They were all done with standardized, machine-shot, tests with charted results. He did keep it to an apple-to-apples method of comparison. His tests were primarily about performance and not the touchy-feely judgments. Yes, he did have his little editorial comments about smoothness and feel, but the meat of his tests involved force draw curves and speeds and trajectories and that sort of information. It did give you a pretty good idea of what bows were the dogs of the industry and which ones were putting their research money where their mouths were. I will agree that the best tests are actually shooting them, but there are so many different bow manufacturers and models to chose from that it really is kind of nice to step into the bow shop having a list of leading contenders. It kinds of keeps you from irritating a bow shop owner with a full day of bow trials .... lol. Plus it was just fun to be up on the performance of all the new entries into the market. I really do miss these tests and I was just wondering if anyone had taken over his work.

I have not seen any good comparisons lately that I did not have questions about. Maybe you should take over his testing Doc :biggrin:

I have not seen any good comparisons lately that I did not have questions about. Maybe you should take over his testing Doc :biggrin:

That would be fun.  I don't think it is something that a guy could make a whole lot of money at though.