pistol hunting question

edbone

a concealed carry permit is not the same as a full unrestricted carry permit...........all handgun permits that allow you to take it out off premises, require it to be carried concealed unless you're actively engaged in hunting, target shooting and certain types of employment.....in other words, all handguns must be carried concealed when going to and from activities that your permit allows you to engage in......with a few exceptions of when it's allowed to not be concealed.

Hmmmm.. Mine in Steuben County just says NO RESTRICTIONS...

I assume that I can carry it open/concealed anywhere except places where firearms are forbidden, such as NYC, schools, public buildings, etc.

Edited by Pygmy

Recapt... Generally target shooting is allowed on NFs, but it varies on each tract so you need to call the USDA National Forest Service Regional Office that covers the land you are interested in. Some national forests have additional restrictions that reach farther than the general regulation(s). The USDA Forest Service has their own law enforcement officers ( federal rangers) and I would talk to them.

There also might be an inconsistency between NYS En-Con Law and USDA Forest Service Regulations governing the taking of non-game. I am not positive, but red squirrels very likely are considered non-game, despite the fact that they are unprotected wildlife in NY and can be taken year-round in NY under NY state En-Con Law. I would ask a USDA Forest Service ranger about taking red squirrels or any other unprotected wildlife on USDA FS Lands. Although I have no personal desire to take red squirrels on USDA FS Lands; I would be interested in what you find out and from whom, so please let us know what you find out. As a final note: an "inconsistency" doesn't mean you can pick the law that fits your personal agenda. Always err on the side of caution and follow the more restrictive law.

Edited by mike rossi

a concealed carry permit is not the same as a full unrestricted carry permit...........all handgun permits that allow you to take it out off premises, require it to be carried concealed unless you're actively engaged in hunting, target shooting and certain types of employment.....in other words, all handguns must be carried concealed when going to and from activities that your permit allows you to engage in......with a few exceptions of when it's allowed to not be concealed.

Monroe doesn't issue restricted permits that I now of. If you get one it is unrestricted. To keep this simple you get a permit or a permit with restrictions.

Monroe doesn't issue restricted permits that I now of. If you get one it is unrestricted. To keep this simple you get a permit or a permit with restrictions.

I should have also added that each county is more than likely going to be different.....my main point was that all handguns must be carried concealed in NY, so they're all considered concealed carry permits.............unless you'e engaged in an activity that allows it to be exposed.

• Like 1