pistol hunting question

edbone

Hey all.Got a question and maybe some can answer correctly.Got my pistol lic about 8 weeks ago and bought a 22 pistol and want to play with it soon!!!Do a lot of hunting down at Finger Lakes National Forest in hector.I am pretty sure that red squirrel season is open year round.Can I legally go in woods with the 22 pistol and hunt them?Can I legally go in the woods and practice?Any accurate info appreciated

Yes you can hunt with it, and reds are open all year. It all depends on the piece of public land whether you can target practice or not. The rules for each will be listed online and/or at the parking area(s). Even if it is legal to target shoot there, take your trash and casings with you when you leave.

BTW, everytime I take my 22 pistol in the woods, the squirrels disappear. When Im bow or gun hunting for deer, they are everywhere lol.

• Like 1

porcupine, red squirrel, woodchuck, English sparrow, starling, rock pigeon, and monk parakeet

Thats the list of unprotected species that you can hunt anytime

I don't know about that on National Forests, refer to number 4:

You can target shoot on national forest lands unless a specific area has been closed to the activity because it jeopardizes public safety. Information about closures is available at each district office. When target shooting, Forest Service regulations prohibit discharging a firearm:

1. In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area,

2. Across or on roads or bodies of water, or where people or property are exposed to injury or damage,

3. Into a cave,

4. Causing resource damage; don’t shoot trees, rocks, stumps, non-game animals.

Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both (16 U.S.C. 551, 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571).

Isnt "Fingerlakes national forest" now owned by the state? Or am I thinking of something else? If its an unprotected species in NY, does that make it a non-game animal or are they talking about species that you are not allowed to hunt at any time?

Yeah, that's the point, the law doesn't say in "express terms" you can take non-game wildlife even if they are unprotected such as the ones you listed. Unprotected does not always mean it is classified as game, even if it is unprotected. I would prefer to err on the side of caution until I got an official to clarify it.

Not sure where you are going with it being in NYS and all, but I will take a crack at answering it: The state or a tribe can set laws more restrictive than federal regs, but not less restrictive.

I dont remember, maybe the US Forest Services website, but if you go to the US code section 16 part I cited above you can read the law pertaining to target shooting on national forests and grasslands. It MIGHT just mean don't shoot animals unless you are legally hunting, but that is NOT how it reads. Taken verbatim it says what it says... However I am not positive about the classification of red squirrels and the others , whether they are game or non game... I am a little busy, maybe someone else can look it up and post the link or source.

that's not entirely true.....it can be carried during the regular season.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8310.html

Heres the answer....

Q: Can I carry my .22 caliber rim-fire handgun with me while I'm big game hunting?

A: Yes, but only during the regular deer season or early and regular bear seasons and only if you have a NYS pistol permit. You may not use the .22 caliber rim-fire as a primary or secondary weapon to take deer or bear. You may not possess a firearm of any description while bowhunting.

Heres the answer....

Q: Can I carry my .22 caliber rim-fire handgun with me while I'm big game hunting?

A: Yes, but only during the regular deer season or early and regular bear seasons and only if you have a NYS pistol permit. You may not use the .22 caliber rim-fire as a primary or secondary weapon to take deer or bear. You may not possess a firearm of any description while bowhunting.

Well button my britches.  Wonder when that turn around happened.  It used to be a no-no unless you had a .38 with the proper barrel length.  I used to carry a .22 in order to polish off wounded deer till an ECO gave me a warning.  Now I carry a little .38.

Nice to know.  Thanks!

you got that right jrm.totally not right how some of these people are buying it to resell.i bought the pistol prob 10 weeks ago.i live 9 miles from bass pro and have been there prob 35 times looking for 22 amo...n

NEVER any...sucks...yet gander in cicero has it every friday morning and i cant get there friday morning.i guess it sells out in minutes...WHY cant bass pro have it on a certain day?They aint got enough pull?

I have run across 22 ammo on a regular bases. I have gotten it at Walmart, Bass Pro, Dicks. I even turned some down at the local gun shop one night as they where going to do a drawing, and 3 people really wanted them so I passed on entering the drawing so they could get them.About a month ago I was at Ithaca's Dicks and got a 1400ct Bucket of Remingtons 22lr for $79.99.

you got that right jrm.totally not right how some of these people are buying it to resell.i bought the pistol prob 10 weeks ago.i live 9 miles from bass pro and have been there prob 35 times looking for 22 amo...n

NEVER any...sucks...yet gander in cicero has it every friday morning and i cant get there friday morning.i guess it sells out in minutes...WHY cant bass pro have it on a certain day?They aint got enough pull?

Yup..Gander in Cicero gets it just about every Friday and according to one of the guys who works there, the same crowd of guys is waiting outside for the doors to open. They buy their limit and even try to get back in line for more. I have seen this first hand. I got into a pissing match one time with a guy that got his ammo, ditched it in his car,came back in wearing a different coat and tried to get back in line. A-holes like that are a big part of the problem

• Like 2

An important aside for your question asking if you can legally take it out hunting..

That will largely depend on what type of pistol permit you have. Be sure to adhere closely to its provisions. I have been surprised by the number of permit recipients who are either ignorant of, or who choose to ignore, restrictions on their permits. Darn few full carry permits are issued anymore. If in doubt, contact your permit office to clarify how and when you can carry.