Trophy time

the blur

I have heard it can take up to a year, depending on the taxidermist.  I just received mine back and it was provided to Matt Cantrell on Nov. 3.  I think that is generally considered quick turn around.

Edited by moog5050

Depends on a lot of things..how many heads the taxidermist took in, . Shipment to tannery several times or at end of season or if he did himself. does he do all the work himself; or does he/she have others doing work(that's usually when people are dissapointed in results , show you their work and someone else is the one who does it...)I've seen heads back in 3 months to heads in 6months, a year or heads back in two years. I have a taxidermist by me that is 2-3 years behind after suffering a gash to his had and suffering tendon/ligament.damage. People still take stuff to him , personallyI wouldn't get into that situationn.and would find someone else.

Edited by G-Man

I worked with my taxidermist this year to mount my own deer and found there are a lot of factors that come into play here.  As heads were dropped off throughout the whole season he would flesh them and then freeze them.  After the 1st of the year he ordered his truckload of mounts.  As he got ready he would pickle the hides himself to save some time and money as opposed to sending them out to the tannery.  There would then be a rotation of pickling hides prepping the mount and mounting the hide taking about 2 days to do so.  once the hide is mounted it takes about 3-4 weeks as its drying to keep an eye out for any problems.  Finally when everything looks good and dry the painting step comes to touch up spots.  So it should take 3-6 months to get one back.  I just hung mine up after finishing the painting last thursday.  No depending on what other animals the taxidermist has to mount and what kind of other mounts he has to do could push things back further.

Deer on the left is my adirondack 10pt from 07 which was the last one that taxidermist did, so he would have more time to travel and hunt and fish himself, and the one on the right is my 10 from this year from the southern zone that I mounted under the watchful eye of my taxidermist.post-1885-0-75473200-1397507403_thumb.jp

• Like 1