Injury or genetics??

brandon_h

I don't think that this is the cause for this buck but Geno's buck could of had a burrowing bug get into the antler when in velvet and cause the defect.

I've seen this in the past.

really? ive never heard of that. can you dig any info up on that? id like to read into it, ill try some searching to see.

Geno, yours was obviously an injury to the antler while it was growing. You can tell because the base is normal and then all of a sudden its messed up. Never heard of the burrowing antler bugs though lol.

yeah thats what i was figuring... could have also been a previous injury as well correct? i never heard of the bug thing either.

Definitely an injury to the pedicle. But not necessarily in the same year. If a buck has damage to an antler away from the pedicle, like a broken tine or beam he will growth that back the next year... if he damaged the pedicle the injury will deform the antler growth on that pedicle every year. Genetics usually doesn't involve deformed antlers or stunted growth on only one side. Plus there is the possiblility of an injury to the opposite side of his body during antler growth that year which is common.

Weighed him today at 163 pounds dressed out.  I skinned him out tonite and found no signs of an old injury, so I'm guessing that its genetics or the pedicle injury that caused the rack to be all screwed up.  The Rage really did the job on this quartering away as it lodged in the off shoulder. 

101_0165.jpg

That must have been the night for the weird antlered buck at that camera.

IM000151.jpg

I skinned him out tonite and found no signs of an old injury, so I'm guessing that its genetics or the pedicle injury that caused the rack to be all screwed up.

You may not find evidence of the old injury. It could have happened last spring when his antler was starting to grow and it deformed, then the injury had time to heal.

Geno, yours was obviously an injury to the antler while it was growing. You can tell because the base is normal and then all of a sudden its messed up. Never heard of the burrowing antler bugs though lol.

Anything that can come in contact with the antlers while setting up in velvet will cause defects to the horn. Ever see those holes in some of the big racks, those are from bugs that burrow into the velvet and penetrate the antler. For all those none believers!lol

Anything that can come in contact with the antlers while setting up in velvet will cause defects to the horn. Ever see those holes in some of the big racks, those are from bugs that burrow into the velvet and penetrate the antler. For all those none believers!lol

Wow, never heard of them before.