NaturesWay contest thread

Took down a nice gobbler today after not hearing a single bird for the first two days. My buddy and I heard 4 gobblers on the roost who quickly went quiet after fly down. We picked up our things and started to move when a hen came in all fired up cutting and yelping. She didn't bring any of her boyfriends with her. After she left we moved around trying to locate some birds when we came up on a gobbler who was hot to trot. We set up the decoys and started calling. He came in all fired up to my jake hen decoy setup around 9:45 AM, that's when I showed him the business end of my Remington 870, 12 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Well I didn't get that second tag punched this year, however, I got to call in a really nice bird for my buddy!

He has been hunting with me for three years now. He missed on a Jake our second year out and was with me when I put down my long beard this year. Needless to say he was getting anxious to pull the trigger on a thunder chicken.

Well this past Saturday, the last day of the season, was his day. We arrived at our spot at 4:30. A little later tan I wanted to, but the woods at this time of the year can provide a good amount of cover. We sat down where we knew a bird had been recently roosting. Around 5:10 AM we heard him gobble but about 150 yards up a ravine. We picked up our decoy and booked it over the hill and set up on the bottom side of an open trail. I let out a few soft yelps with the mouth call and he sounded off just over the hill about 60 yards off. A few more soft calls and he rounded the corner. My buddy laid the hammer on him and his first turkey ever was put to rest!

18 lbs. 3 oz., 9 1/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs.

I couldn't be any happier this season, even if I did take this bird and the competition.

Yeah machinist! It would have felt great to tag out on the last day with that gobbler but my buddy has been patient over the three years he has hunted with me and watched me harvest four birds before he took his first bird. It really cool seeing how excited he was when he put the bird down.

• Like 2