just a FYI

MACHINIST

My duagther had her hunter safety a few weeks back and because I wasn't doing anything and the class wasn't full I decided to take it with her.The instructors did a shirt instruction on crissbows and they told the class that if you have taken your hunter safety before 4-11-14 you needed to take another to legally hunt with a crossbow in the new upcoming season.I have no clue as to if they were right or wrong,but I figured j would throw it out there

• Like 1

My duagther had her hunter safety a few weeks back and because I wasn't doing anything and the class wasn't full I decided to take it with her.The instructors did a shirt instruction on crissbows and they told the class that if you have taken your hunter safety before 4-11-14 you needed to take another to legally hunt with a crossbow in the new upcoming season.I have no clue as to if they were right or wrong,but I figured j would throw it out there

Already states that in the NYSDEC Understanding New York’s New Crossbow Legislation: Guidelines for Hunters 

April 11, 2014 pdf file in this post. http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/22319-understanding-ny-crossbow-law/ :

Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have: 
o 1) completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 
2014; or 
o 2) completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material 
provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification 
in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance. 

On a completely unrelated note, nice job on taking the class with your daughter. Dads should be more like you rather than dropping the kids off for the class. I see that all too often.

Sometimes those discussions are great opportunities to instill the long-term values a hunter should have.

• Like 8

Ye it's just more time to spend with her,I made sure I showed her I scored a 100 on the test just to show her the old man know his stuff!!!It's all a act I assure you!!hehe I am actually looking into becoming a Hunter Safety instructor.Will know more in a few weeks.I am not sure how much it takes and if I will have time.I love taking kids out hunting and seeing that first rush they get when a deer comes in or a turkey gobbles when he is coming in!!Better than getting a trophy yourself

• Like 3

I sat in on my son's Hunter Safety Course last Oct. and enjoyed the refresher.  It also motivated me to become a Hunting Safety Instructor and I had my first class last Thurs.  The Master Hunting Instructors (both Bow & Gun) stated that before 4/19 Crossbows were going to be considered "Bows" and that you needed the Bow Hunter Safety Course.  After 4/19 they received notification that the Crossbows were to be considered in the same class as Muzzleloaders.  They didn't elaborate much after that.  Cabin Fever's post seems pretty up to speed on the subject.

• Like 1

On a completely unrelated note, nice job on taking the class with your daughter. Dads should be more like you rather than dropping the kids off for the class. I see that all too often.

Sometimes those discussions are great opportunities to instill the long-term values a hunter should have.

agree 100% I have taken it with both my daughters + when I took it

again for bowhunting

Already states that in the NYSDEC Understanding New York’s New Crossbow Legislation: Guidelines for Hunters 

April 11, 2014 pdf file in this post. http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/22319-understanding-ny-crossbow-law/ :

Anyone hunting with a crossbow must have: 
o 1) completed a Standard Hunter Education course offered by DEC on or after April 1, 
2014; or 
o 2) completed a DEC-approved on-line or other training program (e.g., material 
provided on the annual hunting guide). Hunters must carry a signed self-certification 
in the field when hunting with a crossbow as proof of compliance. 

They need to refine this.  Having to carry another paper seems crazy, should be able to take a online refreshed and it update you existing license for the following year.  But then again this is NY, they don't do things that make sense. 

The paper certificate is what you had to carry when crossbows were previously legal in New York. It was a 1 page paper and you just signed at the bottom of it and carried it with you.

My Dad and I took the NY archery safety course last year to be able to hunt CT with xbows. We figured we would take the NY incase they made that class the prerequisite for huntings with xbows in NY this year.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld