Dandelion wine?

So I have a gallon worth of the flower part only (no stems) steeping in a pot of boiled water. The rope I found calls for sugar, lemon, orange and then some yeast....

I am looking for more specific info about bottling and quantities f ingredient per quantity of liquid remaining after it steeps.

In other words, I jumped into this whole heartedly and half assed!!! Any real recipes/advice will help

• Like 1

Basically the dandelion is providing the flavor. There is very little there that is actually fermentable. Think sugar. The yeast eat sugar, fart carbon dioxide and piss alcohol. So the sugar added to the recipe is the fermentable. Good rule of thumb is a pound to a pound and a half of sugar to a gallon of water. it will probably ferment in about a week or two. fermenting should take place in a single vessel. if you have a old one gallon wine jug, they work well. stop by a brewery supply place and pick up a drilled rubber cork to fit the bottle and a bubbler. ($2). this keep air out and Oxygen is evil to the wine process during the fermentation. The airlock keeps it out but allows the CO2 some place to escape during fermentation.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques2.asp

I have never used these recipes (never made dandelion wine anyways) but it is a great site. this cam up and it looks like a couple good recipes. The one this I will tell you in all the wine making. Stay on the dry side of using the sugar. It can always be added for taste after the fermenting but you can't get it out once it is in there. (I made that mistake with hard cider). the Yeast will only convert sugar to ta level that brings the alcohol by volume to between 8%-20% depending on the yeast used. They can not live in a solution of ABV above 20%. so if you add more sugar than the yeast can convert before it hits that limit you have a sweet wine. I prefer to add it after I know I have a good ferment and basically season to taste at that point, especially for a first try.

When the fermentation is done (the bubbler stops bubbling). carefully drain off the wine. There will be sediment in the bottom of the jug that you will discard. pour the wine though a coffee filter and back into the jug. I would let it rest for about a month in the jug and any fines will settle out. adjust the sweetness. Leave the lid loose because when adjusting with sugar thee may be a few yeasts in there that aren't   quite done, especially if the ABV didn't hit their limit. after the month, bottle and drink. (no plastic bottles). Better to use mason (canning) jars if you don't have a corker or access to enough screw top bottles.  About $10 for a dozen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see that this is 10 days old but I thought I'd pop in.  I make a lot of wine and work part time at a wine making shop in Watertown.

CulverCreek has it pretty much covered.  Get a hydrometer and a test jar, it is your most important piece of equipment.  You will need them to determine how much sugar you have before fermentation and how much alcohol you will have when its done.  Also be sure to use wine yeast.  So many use bread yeast and that will limit what you can make.  I recommend Lalvin EC1118.

PM me if you have any further questions.  I really enjoy teaching others how to make wine.

Edited by RangerClay
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm pretty sure my first effort is a bust- after a week sitting with all the ingredients there seems to be nothing happening. I ASSumed regular yeast was fine since I couldn't be bothered trying to find other yeast...seems like that's a big mistake - I thought this was some easy, dare I say "hillbilly" concoction (I say that with great admiration for those who can live off the land!) that would not require special ingredients .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 2

EC1118 is also very good distilling yeast....so I am told

No not really.  It will get your alcohol content up around 18% if your brix (brix is sugar content) is high enough but that's as far as it goes.  Most home brew shops have what is called Turbo Yeast and that is what you use for distillation.  Remember that distilling your own is illegal (wink wink :P )

EC1118 is a very hearty, great all purpose yeast that helps struggling wines to below 0 brix.  It's higher alcohol capability allows you to continue fermentation in the bottle and make sparkling wines.  Technically its a champagne yeast.  Red Star makes one just like it called Champagne Yeast.

Edited by RangerClay

Yeah I'm pretty sure my first effort is a bust- after a week sitting with all the ingredients there seems to be nothing happening. I ASSumed regular yeast was fine since I couldn't be bothered trying to find other yeast...seems like that's a big mistake - I thought this was some easy, dare I say "hillbilly" concoction (I say that with great admiration for those who can live off the land!) that would not require special ingredients .

DON'T get down on yourself!!  I have had tons of people come into the shop with the same story as you.  Lets work together and get the next batch to come out perfect. Believe it or not, we will swap out a few things and it will be very easy.

To start with, since its been over a week I would be hesitant to add another yeast.  You have had time, especially in the heat we have had, for bacteria to grow and give off flavors.  I would dump it and start over.  Did you add any potasium metabisulfate or camden tablets before you added the yeast?

What town do you live in?  I will find a nearby home brew shop for you so you can get the correct yeasts.

Edited by RangerClay

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple (I'm) Stupid! Guess not! I was really hoping for a "not much to it" process. Honestly, I don't know if it's worth it....I drink whiskey and beer and don't even like wine!!!! I just thought it would be a cool thing to do. Maybe I should just go straight to moonshine!

• Like 2

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple (I'm) Stupid! Guess not! I was really hoping for a "not much to it" process. Honestly, I don't know if it's worth it....I drink whiskey and beer and don't even like wine!!!! I just thought it would be a cool thing to do. Maybe I should just go straight to moonshine!

Ok, actually the process is very simple.  For modest $10-15 investment at a home brew shop you would be all set.

Even though it's illegal to make spirits in America, it's not illegal for me to sell the supplies neccessary to make spirits.  We sell stills all the time.  Our shop is near Fort Drum and many southern soldiers like to make what they are used to drinking at home.  One thing that many of our spirits makers do, and this may interest you, is make shine, cut it down, add flavorings and wa-la you have your own homemade whiskey.  I've had customers bring in some really great rye and bourbon.

Most people make their own stills and Youtube is full of videos but here is a popular model we sell.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAsFjJqoJwM

If you ever want to give wine or beer making a try.  Give me a shout.

Edited by RangerClay

Ranger is right on. It is very simple once you understand the basics of what is going on in the jugs.

While Youtube may be good for a basic idea I would shy away from there for any real advice on the "how to" side of things. I have seen some real yahoos and if you are just getting into it (wine/beer/distilling), it can be hard to filter any of the BS out.

I would suggest this site to anyone that had an interest. These members know their stuff. One word of caution, They do not spoon feed new members. They take the craft very seriously and there is a movement to push for a hobby distilling bill  in the USA just like the Wine and Beer. There is a great wine section on here as well.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php?sid=88a9521ea8a7ae84eeccaa31f09ee735

Ranger. One thing I have noticed. The Turbos are frowned upon for the distilling. Off flavors and for anything other than Neutral spirits (Vodka) they can impart off flavors into the end product. Most of the guys shoot for a ABV content in the single digits for the best flavors in the spirits like Brandies, whiskies, bourbons and such. I used the Redstar Champagne yeast in the hard cider I made and was able to get a ABV of 18 using it.

For yeast in a mainly sugar water environment, nutrients seem to be the biggest staller of a ferment. Most brew shops sell yeast nutrients and is about 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. I would start there.

Eliminate chlorine from water (for small batches I would use distilled). PH around 5. Hydrate yeast per instructions (Redstar champagne is hydrated at around 100-104. Too hot and it kills it.)

NO way on earth would I buy a still from a retailer. records, records and more records...lol. In person and for cash, maybe. Never never never on line.

We have an account with Still Spirits and sell them all the time.  Just sold a Turbo 500 about 10 days ago.  They have other uses such as purified water or purfume making which allows us to sell them.  The government really doesn't care if you make your own. BUT if you try to sell it, then that gets their attention.  We do not keep records of who buys them nor are we required to.  Once it walks out the door, there is no way for the government to track you down.  A receipt just says how much you spent, not what you purchased.

Remember, if you do decide to make your own.  Always use an electric heat source.  Its safer.