How to get started in hunting?

frankieh

I hate to mention this, and you may very well know this better than I do, but be sure to research all the extra screwball laws that NYC has regarding gun possession and ownership. They seem to be their own little country down there when it comes to guns. So check that out carefully to avoid inadvertently running afoul of the law. Especially if you buy from a private party or outside city or state lines.

I don't see an 850 mossberg, I see an 835 and an 875; either way I think I am going to read up a bit on everything because I don't have much background knowledge in any of this stuff.

lol. You're right. I must have been lacking some coffee. Especially considering I own an 835 :alcoholic:

frankieh - are you a Brooklyn hipster? One of those 20 something’s with an outrageous beard? I heard you guys were getting into hunting.

To learn how to hunt correctly, get a mentor. You might want to join a hunting club. You'll find one on Putnam or Dutchass that might be open. It will cost you some $’s and a bit of your time volunteering, but the old timers there will help you out

• Like 1

hipster or not. If you play by the rules and respect the unwritten ones I welcome you to our sport. Pick up your litter, your shell casing, make clean ethical shots, respect property boundaries, give 100% to track a wounded deer etc. and I don't care what political affiliation, race, gender or sexuality you are or what you do for a living or what clothes you wear. Follow the rules and you're welcome to hunt beside me.

unless of course you're using a crossbow :girlcrazy::spiteful::pogranichnik:

Edited by Belo

It has been mentioned at least twice already, but I want to add to it.  To possess a rifle and/or shotgun within the 5 counties of NYC, you must first obtain a NYC Rifle and Shotgun Permit.  This process takes a minimum of 3 months and costs $231.50 ($140 + 91.50 for fingerprinting the first time) for a three year permit.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml

Most large stores within a two hour drive of the city (Gander, Cabelas, Dicks) will not sell you a gun without this permit if your Drivers License has a NYC address on it.

Thanks for the information; I have located the bowhunter/hunter course here

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92276.html

waterfowl course here 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92272.html

Do you mean a firearm safety course in general? Or specifically to DEC

I think I am going to take those free courses and decide whether or not I want to commit. If I do I will purchase a shotgun and go out to a range. Either way I should probably have a shotgun for home protection so I don't see it as a wasted investment.

To get a hunting license in NY, you must take a "Hunter Education" class. This is a one-time deal. It allows you (with the required license) to hunt in rifle season.

The "Bowhunter Education Class" is separate, and allows you to get a license to hunt with a bow. (Some places may combine these two classes, but it is rare). Note that the bowhunting license is in addition to the regular hunting license. This means to bow hunt you must first get a regular hunting license (and thus also take the regular "Hunter Education" class).

Information on the sportsman education classes in NY can be found here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7860.html

The DEC website has lots of useful information on the topic.

All these DEC education classes are free. Check the site for availability and register early as they tend to fill up quickly.

The quality of these classes vary. However, they also are a great opportunity to get good information and learn about hunting. Many of your questions would be answered in these classes.

If you are not familiar with guns, it is a great idea (as someone else suggested) go find and instructor and learn more. Visit some local gun shops (small ones - not places like "Dick's") and ask questions. They will have some advice to offer and can point you towards qualified instructors.

It is easy to get caught up in a money trap, but just start slow. You don't need to buy all your equipment right away. Take the DEC classes, work with an instructor - that will help to narrow down the gun options.

Where and what you are shooting will also effect your choices. You need a shotgun for birds. A smaller caliber is fine for smaller game. You need something bigger if going for bear. If you are hunting on Long Island for deer, you are restricted to bow. Lot's of variables to consider before deciding what is best for your situation.

For clothing - it is easy to spend a fortune. I was in Cabelas last fall and the pricing on some of the hunting camp blew me away. Then I found the "discount" rack. Last year's "pattern" or items without the latest/greatest scent blocking fabric were available for a fraction of the cost. I picked up some great deals.

You mentioned you're in the NY Metro area.  Where about?  I live in the Bronx and work in upper Manhattan.

I'm in Westchester on the east harlem line; I'll be going down to manhattan over the summer more frequently if you want to meet up sometime

frankieh - are you a Brooklyn hipster? One of those 20 something’s with an outrageous beard? I heard you guys were getting into hunting.

To learn how to hunt correctly, get a mentor. You might want to join a hunting club. You'll find one on Putnam or Dutchass that might be open. It will cost you some $’s and a bit of your time volunteering, but the old timers there will help you out

I can't grow a beard and I like to think I dress classier than hipsters; I'll go google some hunting clubs :)

hipster or not. If you play by the rules and respect the unwritten ones I welcome you to our sport. Pick up your litter, your shell casing, make clean ethical shots, respect property boundaries, give 100% to track a wounded deer etc. and I don't care what political affiliation, race, gender or sexuality you are or what you do for a living or what clothes you wear. Follow the rules and you're welcome to hunt beside me.

unless of course you're using a crossbow :girlcrazy::spiteful::pogranichnik:

:)

I hate to mention this, and you may very well know this better than I do, but be sure to research all the extra screwball laws that NYC has regarding gun possession and ownership. They seem to be their own little country down there when it comes to guns. So check that out carefully to avoid inadvertently running afoul of the law. Especially if you buy from a private party or outside city or state lines.

Yeah I was looking at some handgun / rifle / shotgun permits and its a headache and a half

Frankieh,

Closest public areas to hunt will be Sterling Forest on the Rockland/Orange County border and the Stewart buffer lands.  Sterling Forest is late into the season for rabbit/squirrel/birds, as no firearms allowed until about Nov. 1. Both have hiking/biking trails so you can check out the area long before season starts.

When I go to the Catskills to camp on some of the state campgrounds, I frequently see deer herds along some of the fly-fishing streams in the evening.  Of course they were not in a location to hunt, summer homes dotted the area.

I know the commute you will have to the places I mentioned to hunt, I work in Elmsford and live Orange County.  Plan on bringing something caffeinated, or stop for some coffee for the return trip.  Sunday afternoon/evening back across the TZ bridge sometimes gets nasty traffic.

• 1 month later...

Another good option for you to consider is searching for an affordable outfitter or guide service that offers one-on-one instruction during a deer hunt. Also consider Dick's sporting goods for a firearm purchase. I bought a new Remington .243 bolt action for around $400, with a scope mounted plus ammo, to have on hand for a back up rifle for clients if their personal rifle malfunctions. It is compact and light weight to carry. And it is incredibly accurate. If you need help, I would be happy to assist you.

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service

Fred Scott Owner/Head Guide