another question in my li quest

cbx46

It is perfectly legal to hunt property that is not posted in New York State. As long as it is unimproved and unfenced. That is simply the law. Knowing that, any landowners not wanting hunters on thier land, should post it. As I do. If I did not post my property, I would expect someone to be hunting there.

Give the guy a break. He is following the law.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on land that you don't have permission to be on is wrong, plain and simple. That stuff may fly upstate, but on L.I., it's a recipe for a ruined hunt, bad future relations with said landowner, and probably having to go to court just to sort it all out...

Again, why is it so hard to do the right thing and ask permission????

No BE, I feel that if the people who owned the land cared if anyone walked it or even harvested game, they would post it. I know I would if I cared. As I said before, I hqve taken the time to research the owners and many are city dwellers, out of staters and the like. No locals. So my reasoning is they bought or inherited the land as an investment since it is parceled like a neighborhood development.

I don't feel like I wknd devaluing their land by hunting it. I don't litter, not even shell casings, and I don't feel I am taking their game as I am upland hunting rabbit and turkey. I wknd pretty sure people in Brooklyn with LLC after their name are not even aware there are turkey there.

If I were ever to encounter an owner who objected, that would be my last hunt there. The fact is that knowing that it is private property is not what the law requires but whether that private owner cares enough to post it.

If they don't then who is being wronged?

I shouldn't have to post something that clearly doesn't belong to the person trespassing... I don't have to tell you it isn't yours because you already know that.. you also know you are trespassing because the land is NOT yours. This is the reason why access to land has become so hard... irresponsible people that just assume they can do what they want with other peoples stuff...

Example: If you come to me and ask to hunt my land.. I most likely would let you.. if I catch you on the land without asking and you give me th excuse that I should post my land if I want people to stay off.. Not only might i post it.. but nobody would get access after that.. now you just ruined it for everyone.

well put joe...

there is alot of state land out here that is not marked or posted. So sometimes its hard to decipher if some land is state land or if it is private and some trespassing hunters took  the signs down as and excuse to use if caught.

atleast out here... i see a ton of land, i know a decent amount is state land but there are other pieces of land that is private, some posted and some not. i wouldn't just stomp  around in other peoples property. i would try to identify if it was state or private and ask permission where need be. i hate when guys clearly see posted signs and continue in like they own the place. if i see a posted sign i keep out. i know the plce is not mine and i respect that. some guys just don't have respect at all... 

NY, you say you shouldn't have to post, but that is the law. Just because you don't like the law does not mean you can change it's definition. You say a person know they are trespassing but they are not trespassing. Why is this so hard to understand. The law is clear.

Example: If your land is not posted and I wanted to hunt it I could!

NY, you say you shouldn't have to post, but that is the law. Just because you don't like the law does not mean you can change it's definition. You say a person know they are trespassing but they are not trespassing. Why is this so hard to understand. The law is clear.

Example: If your land is not posted and I wanted to hunt it I could!

Sooo if you dont have a sign on your car that says JJKOE3's car, it would be condidered OK for a stranger to hop in and drive it?? just because there is nothing in eye shot that says its yours OR is it just considered if its not yours dont use it?

Nope, that would not be legal.

Also, you have to take into consideration local customs. There are a lot of parcels on LI that were bought by speculators, or corporations to build housing, that for some reason or other failed. They are holding the land, and could care less who hunts on it. By not posting the property, the owner is actually inviting hunting on that parcel.

Nope, that would not be legal.

Also, you have to take into consideration local customs. There are a lot of parcels on LI that were bought by speculators, or corporations to build housing, that for some reason or other failed. They are holding the land, and could care less who hunts on it. By not posting the property, the owner is actually inviting hunting on that parcel.

HOLY CRAP!!! I don't believe I just read that!  do you seriously believe that if a parcel isn't posted, that means the owner is INVITING you to hunt it??? If so, then I give up hope for you guys. That is exactly the kind of attitiude that will one day end all hunting on L.I...mark my words. There are quite a few politicians trying like hell to shut down discharge of firearms in Brookhaven,[by the way, they include archery gear]. This kind of attitude is fuel for thier fire.

Pleas stop spouting that crap about "land speculators" or "housing corporations" not caring who is on thier land. That is nonsense..do you really think that because they got denied on thier permits, they aren't appealing? or making changes to the application? No, in your mind, they just gave up, and are letting valuable L.I. property rot, and do not care about it...They are still paying taxes on it, period. They deserve the respect that the situation entails, I.E- asking permission. They absolutely do care who is on the land, especially with a hunting implement, which could logically cause harm to someone, in theory.

Enough of this garbage,those of you who venture onto land you don't have permission to be on, are doing so because you know deep down  that if you ask permission you will be denied, and then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Most of these corporations are not going to give you the go-ahead because of liability, and they certainly aren't going to look the other way...they would be putting themselves in jeopardy. The land is an investment, have you really bamboozled yourself into thinking they don't care?

I'll ask again..Why can't you just do the moral, ethical thing and ask permission? I know why, either you can't be bothered doing the homework, or you are flat out afraid of being turned down, and losing "your" hunting spot. Which, since you don't have permission to be on in the first place, isn't "your" spot anyway.

NOT POSTED= INVITING TO HUNT? I have truly heard it all now.

Just do the right thing...ASK PERMISSION!

WOW, seems like way to many guys out there doing ALL the wrong things. the exact shit that gives the guys trying to o bide by the law a BAD NAME... Sounds like a bunch of guys adding fuel to the fire for Anti's and just plain and simple making it easier for either more hunting regulations or the banning of hunting all together. hunting is a privilege NOT your right. So take advantage of it and ruin it for everyone.  And for what? a set of horns??? gimmie a break...

I have been saying for a good long while now that hunters themselves are huntings worst enemies.  Anti-hunters, government, gun-grabbers haven't done a fraction of the damage that hunters themselves have done.  Of course most hunters will continue to argue how much MORE intelligent and upstanding citizens we are supposed to be than the other  side.  I've got some news for them, I am sorry to say.

Geno and Pat you are both 100% correct on this, everytime somebody pisses off a land owner it makes it worse for anybody looking to ask permission. Here is an example went rabbit hunting on saturday on a farm had permission to hunt on , my friend I went with knows the owner and has his tel number to call just in case. While we were hunting a guy that leases for goose hunting seen my truck and came over like a nut job, because of all the people that sneak on the property through a railroad, we were parked in front , on a main road by the farmers entrance gate, as we had nothing to hide. Anyway the guy was nasty, and although we had permission from the owner he was very rude until he actually heard us out, we could have been equally rude as we did have permission, but in the end would of been ugly. I really do not blame the guy, as I can imagine all the b.s. he has heard from people thinking ok to enter on property because on signs being knocked over or not in sight or whatever.

As far as being able to enter onto not posted property, I  do not post my backyard, does that make it legal for somebody to decide to come have a barbeque in my yard?

The way same people think on this topic WILL cause us not to be able to hunt on L.I. one day.

It has happened my beagles chase a rabbit onto posted property, I either put my gun down and get them back, or shock them to come to back to me, I know it is mean , but do not want to get arrested for tesspassing, for me it is rabbit, for some it may be antlers, but in the end we all have to deal with the same issues.Good luck trying to convince somebody of this..

As far as being able to enter onto not posted property, I  do not post my backyard, does that make it legal for somebody to decide to come have a barbeque in my yard?

No....because your land is obviously not "uninhabited."

Complain to your lawmakers, not to those who follow the letter of the law.

Following the letter.. or getting by on it..its common sense booger flinger..if it aint yers get permission...if not..expect someone to get up in yer grill...or have the cops drag you away covered in pepper spray and covered in boo boos :)

I didn't draft the law.

Personally, I am a spirit of the law guy, so back off Pockets.

WOW! because its not posted it should be like an invite to hunt???? are you kidding???!!!!  I have a piece of property that is not posted and would love to see you try and use that excuse. Like I said in my previous post 5 years 7 trespass charges and NO POSTED SIGN.  Just had the right paper work filled out, I's doted and T's crossed and all charges stuck.