Brand new trapper

Caveman

I just completed my trapper course yesterday and I was wondering if I can get some advice from the experienced guys here.  I learned a ton from my class but at the same time it was pretty overwhelming to see all the equipment the instructor brought. 

Can anyone help me put together a list of equipment to buy to get started without breaking the bank?  I'll be targeting red fox, coyote, raccoon, and muskrat this season.  

So far I'll be looking for 160 and 220 connibears, #1.5 and #2 coil springs, cable stakes, various lures and baits, a cable stake driver, multi-purpose hammer and digging tool, and some trap dye and wax.  Anyone have any suggestions to get me started? 

Traps are real pricey there's a show in Avon in Sept that has some trapping vendors there can get all supply there...I'd prefer 1 3/4 traps for everything so I'd get them first...lil big for coon and fox but ok for coyote... as far as hammer goes get a sod buster I have a welder so I bought a 3# sledge and welded some 1/4 flat with a bevel on it that's all I use....personally I don't like cable stakes hard to get back out of ground but are way lighter....lures keishels (spell) ? Makes some great lures as do many others his I like crossbreed and the coy dog glands....I've been trapping my entire life and learned from my dad a life long trapper...and am in process of teaching my 4 yr old how to do it lol....feel free to pm me anytime I'm sure there's others on here who will chime in as well.....

Probably not what you're looking for, but property rights/access is the big one. And if you get those rights, they need to be exclusive or your gear will likely be gone.

I made a decent living at it 35 years ago when prices were high and access was pretty much unlimited as long as you were respectful. Tough today on both counts.

Glad I didn't see beaver on your target list. Haulin' two or three 60 pounders out of the woods every day is not fun, and really not cost effective if you want to stay in it.

I wish you the best!

Thanks for all the replies.  I was planning on going to the little valley show.  The instructor at the class recommended it to get started for a lot cheaper.  I have access to a few places nearby where the farmers want predators kept in check.  There's also some state land around the corner that's not used by outdoorsmen because it's in a town where you can't discharge a weapon.  And Grow, I actually set up my subscription to fur fish and game this afternoon.  

The only downside to all this is I now have even more to distract me when I'm supposed to be working.  

Any advice for preparing traps?  Do used traps still need to be boiled and dyed? Or can you skip straight to waxing? 

That's a very good deal....i may order some myself...perfect fox coon trap....on the bottom side of those traps there is a hole in the bar it's like a 1/4 Inch hole I always move the chain to that hole with a swivel. Just something I learned from my dad It helps the trap swivel better to prevent losses....if you can try to get to s ok me of the seminars at the trapping show they are worth the time and always answer any questions

I just completed my trapper course yesterday and I was wondering if I can get some advice from the experienced guys here.  I learned a ton from my class but at the same time it was pretty overwhelming to see all the equipment the instructor brought. 

Can anyone help me put together a list of equipment to buy to get started without breaking the bank?  I'll be targeting red fox, coyote, raccoon, and muskrat this season.  

So far I'll be looking for 160 and 220 connibears, #1.5 and #2 coil springs, cable stakes, various lures and baits, a cable stake driver, multi-purpose hammer and digging tool, and some trap dye and wax.  Anyone have any suggestions to get me started? 

What are you targeting with the 220's

• Like 1

My advise is not to go cheap when it comes to traps. I use 1.75 and #2 for coon, fisher, fox and coyotes. I use Bridgers, Bmi's and MB'S. For rats i do use some dukes and older victors band blake and lambs.

I mainly use Night Owl lures. Jim Geffert is a real nice guy and willing to help with any questions.

Wax can be picked up cheap and sumac can be used for dye.

• Like 1

Make sure you read the rules. Thjere are restrictions for connibears on land.

I was told, and of course I have to double check it, that 220's could be set on land as long as they are concealed a certain depth in a bucket with 1/3 of the opening covered and set at least 4 feet off the ground.  Other than that though, 220's are only allowed in water.  I was gonna double check anyway though.