best advice...

G-Man

i was recently asked for the best advice i could give a new hunter as i was best hunter he knew. I said put time in, not so much all day, but any time you could every day, a 2 hours sit in the am and 2 hour or hour inthe after noon every day will teach you more than a all day 1 day sit. I'm sucessful as i put in weeks of hunting not a weekend. Any thoughts?

Perfect advice for a beginning hunter. No need of convincing a new hunter to sit all day. They will just get discourage when they don't see deer all day, rather suggesting the high movement times is great advice.

I would add target practice as being important for any hunter, not just a beginner. You have to know your abilities and your weapon.

i was recently asked for the best advice i could give a new hunter as i was best hunter he knew. I said put time in, not so much all day, but any time you could every day, a 2 hours sit in the am and 2 hour or hour inthe after noon every day will teach you more than a all day 1 day sit. I'm sucessful as i put in weeks of hunting not a weekend. Any thoughts?

Just stands to reason that you have to be in the woods to witness what is going on there... good advice

When I started, someone suggested that I ask myself why I chose a particular spot to hunt on a given sit. If I couldn't come up with several very good specific reasons, then I should consider relocating. It started the analytic process of hunting for me. My education continues, but I am certain that engaging in the analytical process has helped me tremendously to choose better kill sites. In fact, my best experience so far hunting was a day I wasn't in the stand. We were able to predict a kill site for a particular buck, on a particular day, at a particular time (generally) on a specific wind. The prediction came true. I was tagged out and a friend sat the stand and had his chance, but missed. I was more excited about that than killing my biggest buck last year. We won that chess match, despite the miss.

I also agree that more frequent and shorter sits is a great idea.