Food for Thought!

Four Season Whitetail's

This is a post off of our deer farming site.Now read this with an open mind without personal preference invoved on deer farming or high fence hunting and tell me this is right?

They depopulated 500 animals total off this farm and a 2 million dollar a year business.But they continu to release and restock untested animals into other states across the country. This is wrong on so many levels.

How fast do you think CWD prions from that alfalfa could infect a dairy farm property in Ny State and then the deer on that property or even a deer farm and then they depopulate them. Nice!!!

Posted Today, 02:00 AM

Four Seasons Whitetails, on 04 Sept 2014 - 2:55 PM, said:snapback.png

So,So stupid..You watch, this will all be for not if the important people start saying they will not ship grains because of CWD. You will see some massive back peddling by the states DNR and such and they will be saying that CWD is no big deal any longer. You know, Kinda like the state of Iowa already did!!!!!!

So true....In fact, as reported in the Rapid City Journal dated February 25, 2013, apparently CWD is not such a big deal for wildlife as they removed the fence and released 500 exposed animals from Wind Cave National Park after 15 years of CWD exposure.  Of course the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation funded the two helicopters to assist in this release.  Since 1998, 45 animals tested positive of the 140 samples collected.  Was this made possible because the CWD Rule dated 2012 exempted wildlife from any CWD monitoring requirements?  Oh I know, Custer State Park area is considered an endemic zone, but in reality, should it now be classified as a CWD hot zone?

Bear in mind, this release came out just one month following our depopulation of approximately 225 animals from our hunting preserve in Davis County in January of 2013.  Of the 225 animals tested, 2 animals were found positive.  Now we are having to fight to have our property rights restored, as the DNR is requesting a five to ten year quarantine on the property for less than 1% infection rate.  Of course, we are required to maintain the property taxes, mortgage payments, maintenance of the buildings and fences during this quarantine period.  In Iowa, air conditioning is almost required during summer to avoid mold and mildew damage and in the winter you must have heat.  

Just 10 miles from Wind Cave National Park, they are advertising alfalfa hay for sale:

Posted: Thu Jul 17 2014 2:48 pm

Post subject: Large Round Alfalfa Hay Bales for Sale (Hot Springs, SD) $125

reply.png icon_quote.gif

Large Round Alfalfa Hay Bales for Sale: Baled the middle of July. Net Wrapped. Quantity of 21 Bales. $125/Ton. Available to load your trailer. Call **

http://www.jlaforums...php?t=279698516

CERTIFIED HAY REQUIREMENTS IN SOUTH DAKOTA

WEST RIVER SD

Ron Johnson    Caputa, SD  605.393.2253
Grass/Alfalfa

Horse campers planning to stay at French Creek Horse Camp in Custer State Park should contact Phil Lampert @ 605.673.5436 who is the concessionaire at Blue Bell Trail Rides.  He may have sufficient hay on hand to sell in the park.

One Example of Land for Sale with alfalfa pasture 

Custer County, South Dakota 
Acres: 800
500+/- acres of cultivated hay land and 300+/- acres of pasture land. Forage consists of a combination of cool season, alfalfa, and native grasses. Cultivated hay acres were in CRP and could be farmed. The land has a half mile of Cottonwood Cutoff Road frontage on the east side of the property. Property is located from Fairburn, South Dakota: south on Fairburn Road 9.5 miles to Cottonwood Cutoff Road, turn left (east) for two miles, and the land is approximately 1/4 mile south on the section line. For additional information, please contact Bryce Nelson, Agent, at (605) 343-8697 or (605) 484-7713.
Listing ID: L-1400544
Price: $960,000.00
Listed by Bryce Nelson:View full detail

-------------------

Public sector response to CWD:

Set them free.  Question:  Does mother nature take care of the problem over time or was the herd highly infected at the time of release?  Another release is expected in the future.

Private sector response to CWD

We on the other hand, were quarantined for two years and did what we felt to be responsible and, of course, economical and stopped breeding our animals.  Would hate to guess what would have happened to us if we had handled our initially overpopulated breed facility like that of Wind Cave.  

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-2122-0-01101900-1409895342_thumb.jp
  •  
  • post-2122-0-43242400-1409895360_thumb.jp

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Doesn't really feel like "food for thought" feels like a thread on getting your pitch fork ready and torches to burn a guy at the stake. You are advocating way too much for us to dislike this guy and cwd. I'm not saying it's impossible for a cross over like mad cow but you're making me not want to credit any research already published by posting pricing of round bales of hay from states too far away. Scale it back a few degrees and not drown us in late night articles with random real estate listings and bale pricing. I was interested in the first article but geez man c'mon we aren't all attacking your farm or discrediting deer farming. If anything I'd rather have you as a resource of patterns and actions of white tail.

Doesn't really feel like "food for thought" feels like a thread on getting your pitch fork ready and torches to burn a guy at the stake. You are advocating way too much for us to dislike this guy and cwd. I'm not saying it's impossible for a cross over like mad cow but you're making me not want to credit any research already published by posting pricing of round bales of hay from states too far away. Scale it back a few degrees and not drown us in late night articles with random real estate listings and bale pricing. I was interested in the first article but geez man c'mon we aren't all attacking your farm or discrediting deer farming. If anything I'd rather have you as a resource of patterns and actions of white tail.

LOL...Thats far from the point. Many,many,MANY on this site have attacked my farm and deer farming and said many times that farms moving deer was the biggest reason CWD is around and that has been getting more and more holes shot in it every day.(But thats not what this OP was started for)

The posts show what science and true facts have shown about how CWD has been proven to be carried by many bigger vectors than deer themselves and shows the research that is trying to prove what this OP was all about.

When you have states and Govt doing just the opposite of what they tell citizens to do then there is a problem. But i guess we in Ny have been shown that many time's. Bang,Bang!

Come on FSW, Just because some of us dont agree with high fence hunting, doesnt mean we dont think certain types of deer farming has its place. Scents, meat, etc etc is just fine by me. What gets my goat is when they are producing genetic freaks that are shot behid a fence, in a small enclosure, and they want it to be legitimate in some way.

The CWD thing is a little different, though it is connected with deer farming and high fence hunting. Particularly the open transportation of animals between farms all over the place, many of which have been found with CWD present. Its a problem. CWD is being spread more rapidly because of the movement of infected farm animals. You want to sell tubes of deer sperm, by all means, but stop moving the damn animals around. Alot of that movement is because of (suprise suprise), high fence hunting, not meat or scent prioduction.

I am open to all of the info on CWD you can feed me. Its something I am interested in learning about, and I like to get info from all angles so I can sort through the nonsense.

Come on FSW, Just because some of us dont agree with high fence hunting, doesnt mean we dont think certain types of deer farming has its place. Scents, meat, etc etc is just fine by me. What gets my goat is when they are producing genetic freaks that are shot behid a fence, in a small enclosure, and they want it to be legitimate in some way.

The CWD thing is a little different, though it is connected with deer farming and high fence hunting. Particularly the open transportation of animals between farms all over the place, many of which have been found with CWD present. Its a problem. CWD is being spread more rapidly because of the movement of infected farm animals. You want to sell tubes of deer sperm, by all means, but stop moving the damn animals around. Alot of that movement is because of (suprise suprise), high fence hunting, not meat or scent prioduction.

I am open to all of the info on CWD you can feed me. Its something I am interested in learning about, and I like to get info from all angles so I can sort through the nonsense.

Thats funny. Can you tell me why there has never been a case of where a deer has died from CWD on a deer farm? Like i said before. Your take on high fence blinds your eyes to the bigger vector of CWD and its being proven more and more all the time. Wait till this live test comes out that WE..Not QDMA or any other so called group that say they are all about caring for the whitetail...are footing the bill for, and this will be the final proof of where,what and how CWD is spread and then clouded eyes like yours that have a problem of how others spend their time,money and hunting will be eating some tasty words and then when CWD from the wild deer have anything to do with states and countries not selling and buying grains and hay...Oh Boy...What will you do then. Vermin will be the softest word!

And you still have never after all these years came up with the reasons of CWD being in so many states that have never had deer farms or high fence hunting or how states like illy has had CWD in the wild for over 10 years( over 500 cases i believe) but never a case in the hundreds of deer farms and ranches...HMMMM

Thats funny. Can you tell me why there has never been a case of where a deer has died from CWD on a deer farm? Like i said before. Your take on high fence blinds your eyes to the bigger vector of CWD and its being proven more and more all the time. Wait till this live test comes out that WE..Not QDMA or any other so called group that say they are all about caring for the whitetail...are footing the bill for, and this will be the final proof of where,what and how CWD is spread and then clouded eyes like yours that have a problem of how others spend their time,money and hunting will be eating some tasty words and then when CWD from the wild deer have anything to do with states and countries not selling and buying grains and hay...Oh Boy...What will you do then. Vermin will be the softest word!

And you still have never after all these years came up with the reasons of CWD being in so many states that have never had deer farms or high fence hunting or how states like illy has had CWD in the wild for over 10 years( over 500 cases i believe) but never a case in the hundreds of deer farms and ranches...HMMMM

Has there really never been an on-farm deer death from CWD?

So think on this , if prions are in grain, what the heck are you gonna feed all them fenced in deer..do you have a prion free food source? If so I'm sure that would be used for human consumption first..so what happens to the fenced in deer nutrition? Prions are undetectable so I can't imagine individual farmers testing let alone wildlife farmers... cwd has been around since the 60's we didn't call it that back then like we didn't call cold snaps polar vortexes either. The wild herd survives so your point is unfounded..

• Like 2

First off, your industry should be footing the bill.

Second, heres to your "never been a CWD death on a deer farm" claim...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/northampton-county/index.ssf/2014/04/chronic_wasting_disease_leads.html

Go back and read what I said about high fence and why Im against it.

Try again...

First off, your industry should be footing the bill.

Second, heres to your "never been a CWD death on a deer farm" claim...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/northampton-county/index.ssf/2014/04/chronic_wasting_disease_leads.html

Go back and read what I said about high fence and why Im against it.

Try again...

Are you kidding me?  That doe in question died from pneumonia after being on John Millers farm in Pa after it came from the Snyder farm near Altoona, that was sold to him as a fawn from Dustin Miller. I have 6 deer on my farm from Dustin Millers farm and Hmmmm no CWD. 

John Millers farm is in the middle of where CWD was found in the wild. He had a total farm auction and moved his whole amish family to Tennessee from Pa after the sale.

If there is anything else i can help you out with you just let me know.  Never has a deer died from a case of CWD on a farm. A bullet, A broken neck, Pneumonia and alot of times.Old Age, then tested and found.

The pictures you see spread by groups like your beloved QDMA come from the Colorado research Facility or are of deer dying from EHD. Again, You need any more info i would be glad to help ya out!

post-2122-0-45953100-1409852558_thumb.jp

So think on this , if prions are in grain, what the heck are you gonna feed all them fenced in deer..do you have a prion free food source? If so I'm sure that would be used for human consumption first..so what happens to the fenced in deer nutrition? Prions are undetectable so I can't imagine individual farmers testing let alone wildlife farmers... cwd has been around since the 60's we didn't call it that back then like we didn't call cold snaps polar vortexes either. The wild herd survives so your point is unfounded..

Really, Prions cant be found? Think on this? Fenced deer will be under control and tested! Wild deer will be infecting the human grain source. Fenced deer can be controlled and dealt with accordingly, wild deer...Not So Much.  You let them take this where they want to take this or if there is ever one little piece of evidence that shows the prions affecting humans and i relly hate to think what is going to happen.  Point being..All these lies and agendas that some people and groups have used for their agenda may very well be their own demise in the near future. Time will soon tell the story!

Wow, personal shot at me and I didnt even make the comment, just laughed at it. Keep it classy...

I believe we have been around with each other long enough to know exactly the meaning behind any post we make to each other and i know exactly what yours was by quoting something like that. But whatever, means nothing!

I believe we have been around with each other long enough to know exactly the meaning behind any post we make to each other and i know exactly what yours was by quoting something like that. But whatever, means nothing!

I quoted it so it was known who I was talking to. I was laughing at the "deer piss challenge" notion, mostly because I am sick of the friggin ice bucket challenge.

I dont have anything personal against you up until the point where you start handing out the personal shots. We can disagree on the QDMA and CWD things all day long, and theres no issue with that IMO.

Funny how every other group is lying besides the one that has the biggest monetary interest...........

Just showing the facts and by the looks of it there are going to be many that do not like the facts they end up seeing. I dont know why you keep bringing up money? Our success just shows the demand that is there and that success is what many cant handle. Trust me, our bottom line has not changed through all of this.

I like your thoughts that you say farmers can ship semen but not deer. That goes right along with Andy telling you what gun or how many bullets you can use!  Oh Yeah..Only one of those have to do with you so you are only against the one. Got It!!!

OMG I got on to answer a members question and saw this .... :fie:

I have to ask....God help me...When deciding to suck that information into a little package of doom for the wild DEER herd and it's eradication....did it ever once occur to you ALL the other 4 legged mammals that consume the same vegetation and roam around the wilds crapping out those prions?..

Perhaps the scientist should.... I don't know..... evacuate all humans from those infested areas...dig a molt around those states then just nuke it all.....getting every living rodent to mnt lion making the rest of us safe.

Now that made about as much sense as what you are saying

PS I wont be responding to your response so have at it I let the member know where to contact me...I just found the whole thing overly foolish.

• Like 2

OMG I got on to answer a members question and saw this .... :fie:

I have to ask....God help me...When deciding to suck that information into a little package of doom for the wild DEER herd and it's eradication....did it ever once occur to you ALL the other 4 legged mammals that consume the same vegetation and roam around the wilds crapping out those prions?..

Perhaps the scientist should.... I don't know..... evacuate all humans from those infested areas...dig a molt around those states then just nuke it all.....getting every living rodent to mnt lion making the rest of us safe.

Now that made about as much sense as what you are saying

PS I wont be responding to your response so have at it I let the member know where to contact me...I just found the whole thing overly foolish.

Yup and every bird,yote or god knows what eats the stuff and flies it 3 miles this way and 6 miles that way. But no some closed minds say its all the deer in the trucks and do away with them will do away with the problem. Those days are coming to a quick end and the blame will be shifted to its rightful owner!