New plot stand.

YFKI1983

Question. I have an old climber that I don't use that I am thinking of just leaving up in a tree like a hangon. Has anyone ever done this, and would it be cheaper to do this and buy climbing steps or just buy a ladder stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been done before - not ideal, but also a use out of a stand that won't see use. I don't think it would be cheaper because you already own the stand (unless there's a loan on it?).

It has been done before - not ideal, but also a use out of a stand that won't see use. I don't think it would be cheaper because you already own the stand (unless there's a loan on it?).

No I definitely own it. I just never bought climbing sticks or ladder sections before. If that's going to cost me $100+ then I could just get a new stand, no?

No I definitely own it. I just never bought climbing sticks or ladder sections before. If that's going to cost me $100+ then I could just get a new stand, no?

If you shop around you can get a ladder stick for $30 or so, sometimes less, but probably not at this time of year. Screw ins might be cheaper, too, but not a fan of them for semi-permanent setups. A pair of quality ratchet straps can make the climber pretty rock solid. The top part might need to be toggled with the ensure easy entry/exit. Our was a summit ratched in with the front bar, but the seat was nylon and you could duck into it without much safety issue/concern.

If you shop around you can get a ladder stick for $30 or so, sometimes less, but probably not at this time of year. Screw ins might be cheaper, too, but not a fan of them for semi-permanent setups. A pair of quality ratchet straps can make the climber pretty rock solid. The top part might need to be toggled with the ensure easy entry/exit. Our was a summit ratched in with the front bar, but the seat was nylon and you could duck into it without much safety issue/concern.

I have a climber "locked" in down at camp. I only ratcheted the base. The seat I left like a climber and put it over my head when I got out. That way platform access is easy and you jus drop it down once on the platform.

• Like 1

I've got an old "clunker climber" I use like this.

It doesn't bite ANY types of trees well.., it's terribly heavy.., and it scares the crap out of me to even think about climbing with it..,so I use the platform as a permanent stand now. Like the guys have already mentioned, make sure you ratchet it down good so it doesn't drop when you hop on it or bump it from below on your way up.

One thing I like to do is make sure that the cable that goes around the backside of the tree is set in the fork of a branch off the main trunk to prevent it from falling out from under me. I still use straps with it for my own piece of mind even though it's not going anywhere.

I don't use the top half of the climber. Instead I use a small seat designed for stump sitting, that straps to tree and flips up flat against the tree if you want to raise it out of the way.

It's definitely not my favorite stand to sit in, but it's always nice to have one more option.