Student Loan Debt Curbs Housing Market by $83 Billion, Study Says

AaronBlaine

Virgil I was agreeing with you...just pointing out the difference in societies ...where being taught competitiveness at an early age creates the drive to do well..Look at the inner city schools where billion heirs have offered free tuition for hard working students. ..Now I haven't kept up with news ...but last I heard graduation #'s went up for the classes it was offered.

You can not reduce the importance of striving to be number 1 in young children and then expect them to work hard to do their best. Why strive to do your best if in the end everyone is number 1?

What Ireland should do is say work your best get that education but we need you to commit to the country that allowed you to get that degree and stay for at least a couple of years...Isn't there a country that does that now, Norway or Finland?

Virgil I was agreeing with you...just pointing out the difference in societies ...where being taught competitiveness at an early age creates the drive to do well..Look at the inner city schools where billion heirs have offered free tuition for hard working students. ..Now I haven't kept up with news ...but last I heard graduation #'s went up for the classes it was offered.

You can not reduce the importance of striving to be number 1 in young children and then expect them to work hard to do their best. Why strive to do your best if in the end everyone is number 1?

What Ireland should do is say work your best get that education but we need you to commit to the country that allowed you to get that degree and stay for at least a couple of years...Isn't there a country that does that now, Norway or Finland?

that's what the US should do....but instead we have other countries kids comming here to do it. Why not invest in our youth. ...i think a few other countries have it right our youth is our future no way around it....why try and make it harder on them to succeed?

Because if we try it in this country, everyone will go ballistic claiming that it's a giveaway/entitlement/government takeover/blah blah blah.

Yep I agree...but in reality it would help our youth get the education they need to succeed and in turn would spend more money witch helps the economy. And who knows may even take down the unemployment/ welfare rates...bc idk about everywhere else but down here skilled labor is hard to find and is demanded...

Because if we try it in this country, everyone will go ballistic claiming that it's a giveaway/entitlement/government takeover/blah blah blah.

Not if its done right.

So heres the other caveat to all of this. Say you do make college education a right for everyone. Now doesnt it just become the new high school diploma, and in the effort to hire the best and brightest, employers start making additional requirements to get the "good jobs"?

Not if its done right.

So heres the other caveat to all of this. Say you do make college education a right for everyone. Now doesnt it just become the new high school diploma, and in the effort to hire the best and brightest, employers start making additional requirements to get the "good jobs"?

Yes....absolutly...I'm not saying it should be a right. ...not even close I think it's wrong that the govt allows the banks to charge for lending to students....there should be a govt incentive for lending to students not to allow the banks to punish the kids for trying to become something. ...good jobs without fry her education is extremely rare now not like years ago. So even more important for the kids with the drive to succeed to be able to without fear of being in debt for a lifetime

No, you're not necessarily making it 'a right'.  You must qualify for it in order for it to be free.  You qualify based on your scores on the entrance exams.  And, your test scores on the entrance exams determine what professions you can study for.

But people "agree" to pay off their cards houses and toys....Right? But stuff happens. ..

And their credit suffers because of it. It will haunt you longer than 7 years.

Pay your freaking debts and quit complaining about it.

What you dont realize, is that in order for these pie in the sky things youd like to see, someone will flip the bill, and it will be the taxpayer, including you, so you will pay one way or the other. The rest of us that are responsible enough to pay our own way shouldnt have that burden put on us.

Yes....absolutly...I'm not saying it should be a right. ...not even close I think it's wrong that the govt allows the banks to charge for lending to students....there should be a govt incentive for lending to students not to allow the banks to punish the kids for trying to become something. ...good jobs without fry her education is extremely rare now not like years ago. So even more important for the kids with the drive to succeed to be able to without fear of being in debt for a lifetime

So who pays for this goverment incentive? And who ends up paying to make up the bank's costs for giving out free loans? You dont get it.

And their credit suffers because of it. It will haunt you longer than 7 years.

Pay your freaking debts and quit complaining about it.

What you dont realize, is that in order for these pie in the sky things youd like to see, someone will flip the bill, and it will be the taxpayer, including you, so you will pay one way or the other. The rest of us that are responsible enough to pay our own way shouldnt have that burden put on us.

I'd be happy to help invest in our youth...better than paying the crooks in office

So who pays for this goverment incentive? And who ends up paying to make up the bank's costs for giving out free loans? You dont get it.

the same as giving out first time homeowners incentives....going green incentives and the many other they give out.....but instead give out to help the terrible state our education system is in....maybe I don't get it. ...but maybe you don't either...I've been there done it and it screwed me and many of my friends and family....our system is screwed and if we as a country don't fix it we are not going to be the greatest country in the world long.

the same as giving out first time homeowners incentives....going green incentives and the many other they give out.....but instead give out to help the terrible state our education system is in....maybe I don't get it. ...but maybe you don't either...I've been there done it and it screwed me and many of my friends and family....our system is screwed and if we as a country don't fix it we are not going to be the greatest country in the world long.

No, I get it. You want to see more handouts, I want to see less. I am not basing my opinion on how something has affected me personally. How did all those incentives work out for the home loan industry? We are all paying for that one. Almost everyone I know that took advantage of those types of loans ended up bankrupt because they couldnt afford it when it came down to brass tacks.

I agree with virgils concept because it still entices people to work for things. No interest just because you want to go to college for a basic business degree or a vocational school and you didnt have to excel during high school to do it? No way.

Schools have scholarships for talented students. .

and much much more for those talented with a ball or a stick. My daughter had a 98.5 average with AP course and some guys she graduated with that were C students got more cash because they played ball. All about the money. Two that I know of had less financial need but got full grants, since their school couldn't give athletic scholarships

• Like 1

I've never been handed anything period....look at the economy look at the age bracket of the unemployed think it's a coincidence? I don't it all starts with our education system....and now th is common core BS wtf is next? We don't do a whole lot of things and better than anywhere else and that's gonna be our downfall right now really all we have going for us is our knowledge....what happens when that's not the case anymore? We fall that's gonna happen....

The real problem is that colleges are way overpriced.  No way in hell that college should cost as much as it does.  Even the best schools shouldn't cost too much more than a public college.  $40 or 50K or more per year for college?  Come on.  These days many students don't even have to attend class, nor do the professors need to be there, so why these huge costs??  Colleges seem to be a HUGE racket these days and they are getting away with it.  But how do we fix this??  My advice to kids is NOT to go to these high priced schools.  Some may get great jobs after graduating high priced schools, but everyone won't.  If someone is smart and is a good worker, they can end up with great jobs from the lower priced colleges as well.  Not worth paying huge amounts to these schools for their name recognition.

• Like 4

They get away with it bc society let's them....along with the govt

That is definitely true.  In our country people think that money buys everything, so you'll always have people wanting to go to these high priced, well-known schools, and the costs will NEVER go down, only up.   I guess it's a status symbol for many like driving a high priced vehicle.  My freakin Toyota will get me from point A to point B, just the same as their Mercedes, but of course they will never be caught dead driving what I drive.  LOL

The real problem is that colleges are way overpriced.  No way in hell that college should cost as much as it does.  Even the best schools shouldn't cost too much more than a public college.  $40 or 50K or more per year for college?  Come on.  These days many students don't even have to attend class, nor do the professors need to be there, so why these huge costs??  Colleges seem to be a HUGE racket these days and they are getting away with it.  But how do we fix this??  My advice to kids is NOT to go to these high priced schools.  Some may get great jobs after graduating high priced schools, but everyone won't.  If someone is smart and is a good worker, they can end up with great jobs from the lower priced colleges as well.  Not worth paying huge amounts to these schools for their name recognition.

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!