is it really a sign of a bad winter coming?

jjb4900

I notice a lot of people commenting on the amount of fat on deer and it being an indication of a bad winter on the way. Is that really the case or more a matter of there being a bumper crop of food to be had? I mean, does a deer decide there's no need to fatten up because it knows that it's going to be a mild winter?

NY deer should be fat at this time of the year regardless.  They are fattening up for the rut and winter.

right, my point is they fatten up no matter what because that's what they do....it has no bearing on what type of winter we're going to have.

• Like 2

I noticed deer pounding acorns seemingly all day long on the opener. Lot of sightings. Even during a mid day "speed scout" I saw deer on their feet eating. We can't say for sure what it means. Every year I seem to notice natural waxing and waning of deer activity. And the times of this activity do not always coincide with what I expect. Particularly in october.