Drahthaar - Dutch - Finding him a great home

StevieSacs

This is the last post i’d ever want to make, but I have a 6 year old Drahthaar that we are looking to Re-Home

Dutch has been an incredible family member for the last 6 years and a truly special dog. Since Covid, Dutch has become protective of our family and has shown increasing aggression with other dogs on our walks. In addition, he recently had an altercation with the mail carrier where he bit them on the arm. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

We are getting to the point where our 3 year old son will start having friends over and our very busy suburban neighborhood just isnt the right place for dutch.

Dutch has become increasingly anxious as well and doesnt do well in crates or kennels.

What he really needs / deserves is a farm somewhere and a home that is going to treat him like the family member he has become. This is part of the reason I am so reluctant to give him to a bird dog rescue center.

He’s 95lbs, has been hunted a few times a year since he was a pup and is a great retrieval dog. He’s helped me track deer before, helped my track my archery blackbear and loves his grouse / pheasant hunts

Looking for someone who would be interested in adopting Dutch, who would be able to give him a home and the lifestyle that he has been so accustom to. This breaks my heart and my wife is an absolute wreck, but I think its best for our family and for Dutch.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for an amazing companion, please reach out

Thanks in advance

Steve Sac

e9d547983a24ddfd56dd927025549366.jpg

ebc47727ffe36bdf55cc10ef3909138d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Perhaps a very good training program would help Dutch??? Having him learn that some of his current behaviors are unacceptable, could be very beneficial to him and your family.  Just re-homing Dutch won't solve his underlying issues.

I really hope that this story has a happy ending.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, StevieSacs said:

This is the last post i’d ever want to make, but I have a 6 year old Drahthaar that we are looking to Re-Home

Dutch has been an incredible family member for the last 6 years and a truly special dog. Since Covid, Dutch has become protective of our family and has shown increasing aggression with other dogs on our walks. In addition, he recently had an altercation with the mail carrier where he bit them on the arm. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened.

We are getting to the point where our 3 year old son will start having friends over and our very busy suburban neighborhood just isnt the right place for dutch.

Dutch has become increasingly anxious as well and doesnt do well in crates or kennels.

What he really needs / deserves is a farm somewhere and a home that is going to treat him like the family member he has become. This is part of the reason I am so reluctant to give him to a bird dog rescue center.

He’s 95lbs, has been hunted a few times a year since he was a pup and is a great retrieval dog. He’s helped me track deer before, helped my track my archery blackbear and loves his grouse / pheasant hunts

Looking for someone who would be interested in adopting Dutch, who would be able to give him a home and the lifestyle that he has been so accustom to. This breaks my heart and my wife is an absolute wreck, but I think its best for our family and for Dutch.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for an amazing companion, please reach out

Thanks in advance

Steve Sac

e9d547983a24ddfd56dd927025549366.jpg

ebc47727ffe36bdf55cc10ef3909138d.jpg

Perhaps one of the local VDD-GNA or NAVHDA chapters can help find a new home for Dutch. They have Facebook pages where you should be able to post this. If you haven’t been involved with them before and can’t find them online, let me know and I’ll provide you with contact info. Folks in the versatile hunting dog training community will have experience with high drive hunting dogs and may be better suited to handling a large dog with aggression problems than a generic bird dog rescue group. Same goes for the dog’s breeder. 

• Like 1

Perhaps one of the local VDD-GNA or NAVHDA chapters can help find a new home for Dutch. They have Facebook pages where you should be able to post this. If you haven’t been involved with them before and can’t find them online, let me know and I’ll provide you with contact info. Folks in the versatile hunting dog training community will have experience with high drive hunting dogs and may be better suited to handling a large dog with aggression problems than a generic bird dog rescue group. Same goes for the dog’s breeder. 

I have a call with a guy this evening to see if he would fit his program. I also asked the breeder, but he has his hands full. Appreciate the input!

• Like 2