Going to give Trapping a try!

One thing I would like to mention is a well trained trapline dog can be a valuable asset especially when staking traps to drags. Back when I trapped my dogs made some nice recoveries for me. Terriers do very well with this sort of work but I think any gritty dog with some hunt in them can work out. 

Mark Zagger a member of my Airedale board is a big time user of trapline dogs, he like Irish Terriers and their crosses. A post of his below.

If you get real serious about trapping a good dog is something to consider.

Al

2024-01-26_093417.png

5 hours ago, Steve D said:

Unfortunately it happens. Trapping conditions now are at their worst unless you are a water trapper.

At least you know you can catch a coyote and that is a good start.

I kind of thought that but didn't want to say it. Thank you that lifts me up a bit. Still at it and really loving being in the woods again. Right now my neighbor and I have trapped 1 skunk and 3 possums. All his, I'm still a virgin and need to pop my trap!

5 hours ago, airedale said:

One thing I would like to mention is a well trained trapline dog can be a valuable asset especially when staking traps to drags. Back when I trapped my dogs made some nice recoveries for me. Terriers do very well with this sort of work but I think any gritty dog with some hunt in them can work out. 

Mark Zagger a member of my Airedale board is a big time user of trapline dogs, he like Irish Terriers and their crosses. A post of his below.

If you get real serious about trapping a good dog is something to consider.

Al

2024-01-26_093417.png

Funny you said that. I had my guys with me when I checked that trap. They went nuts on the set. My older one with a really good nose started to track into the heavy brush. We went 75 yards but I called them off. I went back and spent an hour or two looking aound but didn't find anything. I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out to check my sets one last time. Learned a lot this year next should be better. With all this snow coming Tuesday and the season ending soon I just best pull them. Thanks for all the info guys! Caught a Red Squirrel and a bird! lol BTW my Neighbor ended up as of today 6 opossum 1 skunk 1 Coon. 

I have always enjoyed trapping and varmint hunting along with running hounds. Admittedly I got into for the money because a guy could turn a good buck in the course of a season.

But as times changed and prices dropped I still pursued both because I enjoyed doing it. I don't own hounds anymore for a lot of reasons but would love to get back into calling and running some traps.

Not for the money but more for enjoyment. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a low turnout. :unsure:

Results of Genesee Valley Trappers Association February 17, 2024 Fur Auction

16 Beaver- High- $47.00 Low- $1.00 Average- $21.56

26 Muskrats- High- $6.50 Low- $0.40 Average- $3.28

6 Mink- High $8.00 Low- $2.00 Average- $5.79

1- 8 ounce castor- $13.00

8 Coyote- High- $15.50 Low- $3.00 Average- $13.50

18 Red Fox- High- $11.00 Low- $3.50 Average- $8.00

15 Raccoon- High- $5.50 Low- $0.25 Average- $2.65

3 opossum- High- $1.00 Low- $0.25 Average- $0.75