Canal fishing

Doc

Are the fish in the canal safe to eat? Anyone know? I am thinking of trying a few spots along the canal to see if the fishing is any good. But there is no point to it if I can't eat what I catch.

I have done quite a bit of fishing in the Erie-Barge canal between Rome and Oneida lake, my main target was mostly Carp but I also caught good numbers of Walleyes, Small Mouth Bass, White Bass and Crappie and I ate them.

Were they safe?, I do not know for sure but they tasted good and I am still around.;)

Al

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Funny when you say canal fishing I think about Shinnecock Canal in the Hamptons. My Grandparents owned a house within walking distance. My summers as a young boy were fishing that canal. We caught all kinds of fish but seeing sea turtles and dolphin come through now and then then was awesome.  My Parents would drop off me and my brother. The plan was to fish the canal or Shiniocck inlet. Gramps had a chair that had a cooler at the bottom for a six pack. We still have it! Grandma would make us lunch and send us on our way. We would catch allk kinds of fish. But the prize was at night when we went crabbing. We would catch 20-50 crab a night. Blue claw and have a a feast the next day. Sorry Doc this is all salt water but brought up great memories. Thanks

Edited by First-light

On 2/26/2024 at 6:49 PM, First-light said:

Funny when you say canal fishing I think about Shinnecock Canal in the Hamptons. My Grandparents owned a house within walking distance. My summers as a young boy were fishing that canal. We caught all kinds of fish but seeing sea turtles and dolphin come through now and then then was awesome.  My Parents would drop off me and my brother. The plan was to fish the canal or Shiniocck inlet. Gramps had a chair that had a cooler at the bottom for a six pack. We still have it! Grandma would make us lunch and send us on our way. We would catch allk kinds of fish. But the prize was at night when we went crabbing. We would catch 20-50 crab a night. Blue claw and have a a feast the next day. Sorry Doc this is all salt water but brought up great memories. Thanks

Not sure how far away you are FL, but both are still great spots to fish from shore.