Saving Does for the Rut?

moog5050

I am just curious how many here pass does with hopes that they will draw in bucks come the rut.  I am spoiled in that I hunt areas where its relatively easy to shoot does.  It would be unusual for me not to have an opportunity within 2-3 sits at most.  So even though I typically think I will hold off on shooting any does until after I have a buck down, I also really like venison and tend to shoot a doe early for the freezer.  Yesterday, I was really debating as I wanted a second for the freezer but also wanted to hold off to keep the does for the next three weeks.

Long story short, I ended up shooting a second big doe for the freezer.  I am happy about having the meat but still debating whether I should have held off.

How many here hold off on does with the idea it will draw the bucks in?  I realize the viewpoint of many will depend on several factors including density of deer where you hunt and the hunter's priority in hunting (trophy vs. meat). 

In practice it seems that I will shoot one or two does until about Nov. 1 and then I won't let an arrow fly until I have a buck in the sight.  I will also note that even my doe sightings drop off significantly after gun opener and that is why I have no problem taking at least one doe in early bow.