How many is too many - coyotes

catskillkid

Usually there are around 6-8 coyotes in a family unit.. most are juveniles with an Alfa male and Alfa female... there may be some rogue coyote males passing through the area as well on occasions.. but the family unit will defend their area against them. The real problem with just killing coyotes "willy nilly" is the chance that the Alfa male might be killed.. which invites more coyotes mostly rogue males into that area... hence, killing the Alfa male and sometimes even the Alfa female can result in an increase in the number of coyotes in that area until a new Alfa male or female is established...

• Like 2

Usually there are around 6-8 coyotes in a family unit.. most are juveniles with an Alfa male and Alfa female... there may be some rogue coyote males passing through the area as well on occasions.. but the family unit will defend their area against them. The real problem with just killing coyotes "willy nilly" is the chance that the Alfa male might be killed.. which invites more coyotes mostly rogue males into that area... hence, killing the Alfa male and sometimes even the Alfa female can result in an increase in the number of coyotes in that area until a new Alfa male or female is established...

I agree that coyote population control is a tricky issue. But the bottom line is that they need to be reduced in some way. They were never a  problem until they made their way east and started filtering into our area about 25 years ago. It is more common to walk or sit outside after dark and hear more than one pack yipping and howling than not anymore in my area. I don't know what the answer is, maybe 365 day season.  

I hope the DEC is on it because coyotes are changing the whole wildlife completion in the southern zone..

Edited by catskillkid

Michael Kerry, You are poacher! You run a business/farm in NY ( http://www.fourseasonwhitetails.com/ ) and are admitting to breaking the NYS hunting laws/regulations. I hope you get your license revoked for years to come so you can't hunt anything.

Biz get off your horse. 

I am on his page with these animals.  Kill on sight.  If I'm driving down the road and a coyote is crossing it, I try to hit it.  If I see one and I have a gun I shoot at it.  They don't just take out fawns but will snag a newborn calf as it falls out of the cow.  Killing a coyote to protect your financial interest doesn't make you a poacher.

No worries. Submitted to NYS DEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I bet you did.  They will round file your complaint in a second.  Encon has a whole lot more to worry about than the complaint from some rich city boy about a person talking about kiling a coyote on an internet forum.

Edited by cwhite

Yeah, I bet you did. They will round file your complaint in a second. Encon has a whole lot more to worry about than the complaint from some rich city boy about a person talking about kiling a coyote on an internet forum.

I did, and was told that my message was forwarded to the DEC Regional law enforcement office that covers Jefferson County.

I'm not rich.

I don't live in NYC.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Michael Kerry, You are poacher! You run a business/farm in NY ( http://www.fourseasonwhitetails.com/ ) and are admitting to breaking the NYS hunting laws/regulations. I hope you get your license revoked for years to come so you can't hunt anything.

You have my name and address and phone number...Feel free to stop by or call anytime and i will show you my land.owned by me and ran by me!  When you or the state start paying my bills you can preach your bullshit to me.  

You may also want to talk to your econ officer when you call him and ask him what rules Ny state farmers get to use when it comes to farms and yotes.

• Like 1

I could care less about your land. I did my job. It's not in my hands now.

You did squat my friend. I have the law on my side and 365 days to protect my animals.  I will take a pic of the econ officer standing here checking out my bucks if he ever shows up.to write me a ticket for something he never saw me do and of which i have the right to do.....HaHa..Like thats going to happen..We have poachers that own the deer herd in most of this area at night and DEC is afraid to show up for calls to do anything about it...You are getting out of you league now!

• Like 2

I have the law on my side and 365 days to protect my animals. I will take a pic of the econ officer standing here checking out my bucks if he ever shows up.to write me a ticket for something he never saw me do and of which i have the right to do..

Question, so is your deer herd fenced in or not?
  • Like 1

How can the yotes get them then? So the rest of your land is what? Just woods? Unimproved farmlands? Just trying to get the whole picture.

The picture is clear. If they are on my property they are a threat to my livestock. They harass, they chase,they dig and they kill. If they are on my farm,they are around my livestock and a threat..Not just my deer. and that opens the door for killing on sight. Just because i am also saving the wild herds i work and pay so hard to keep..Well thats just a plus for them.  

Biz get off your horse.

I am on his page with these animals. Kill on sight. If I'm driving down the road and a coyote is crossing it, I try to hit it. If I see one and I have a gun I shoot at it. They don't just take out fawns but will snag a newborn calf as it falls out of the cow. Killing a coyote to protect your financial interest doesn't make you a poacher.

Wow! Way to flush your credibility down the tubes! We're really weeding out the bad apples here lately!
  • Like 2