Too early for scents?

regulat0r

Do it now,another 2 weeks and they wont do much!!!!

interesting point...ok change in topic now...when should I STOP using scents? i usually use them during the first wknd of gun season. should i ease up during the 2nd wknd and thanksgiving wknd of gun? why?

Edited by regulat0r

I usually use them into the first few days of shotgun but then I put them away because I think so many people throw out every trick in the book so to speak opening weekend and then deer may get spooked after smelling a hot mama then human scent a few times in a weekend.But I will tell you that scent works again in the second rut.Some think its a myth nut it does work.Its about a month after the initial rut and I will use my scent again for a week or so.

I stopped using scents many years ago. I know some hunters have had a lot of success using them. But speaking only for my self, I never was able to fool a mature buck in my area using them. I now just try to get as close to does as I can this time of year. They smell better to a buck than anything I could buy off the shelf. I prefer common sense to scents myself.

But if it works well for you or other hunters and it gives you a bit of confidence that is great too. Use whatever works for you in your area.

Right now bucks are actively searching for the first scent of estrus does,and will follow that scent far and wide day or night. But after the first few days of firearms season with shooting and much more hunting pressure going on most deer will be seeking cover and moving more at night. And won't tend to be out in the open as much as they are now.

interesting point...ok change in topic now...when should I STOP using scents? i usually use them during the first wknd of gun season. should i ease up during the 2nd wknd and thanksgiving wknd of gun? why?

Like almost everything in hunting people always do things different. Now for me I go by what brings me the most success.

With scents I like to use them at different times. Right now the bucks will start running around claiming territory making scraps, rubs and what not. So in that case I like to use a young buck smell. I use this smell on and near natural scrapes with the best results but if you know theres a nice buck running around you can make a mock scrape and have him wondering who's in his neck of the woods if done right.

Now in a week to ten days the bucks should be near or in peak rut thats when you wanna have fresh doe estrus around. And if used right in the correct placement it will help your chances greatly.

Good luck.