What to do with tick infested deer ?

fasteddie

what I have read on deer ticks

Unlike some other tick species, deer ticks (Ixodes scapularis) are particularly susceptible to desiccation, or drying out. They can only survive short periods in places where the atmospheric moisture content (relative humidity) is less than say 90%. In one experiment, most of the nymphal deer ticks exposed to 75% humidity for 8 hours died, even after being returned to 96% humidity. In a typical house environment, unfed deer ticks are not likely to survive even 24 hours. Ticks on moist clothing in a hamper can survive 2-3 days. Ticks that have taken a blood meal may survive a bit longer but certainly not the 30+ days it takes to mature and bite again or lay eggs.

in my years I've taken 100 or so deer (westchester / putnam and dutchess). can't remember the last one without ticks. they all have ticks. just hang the damm thing in a cooler and ticks will drop off. skin it and cut it up ASAP if you want. but there's nothing wrong with the deer meat. he's not eating it raw is he?

tell you're friend to take his skirt off! just cut the damm thing up

come to think of it, every rabbit, bear, woodchuck, squirrel and other fury woodland creature, I've shot have had ticks.

Edited by mmkay

skin it and double bag the hide so more ticks don't get in the garage/house.... and then eat the deer!! don't waste a whole deer because of ticks.  every deer you shoot has ticks, some more than others.  doesn't ruin the meat. kind of a silly question if you ask me...oh wait you did