Farm Land Question

BizCT

For those of you who know farm lands, what type of farm lands are in this satellite image?

The red spot on the right is where I might be able to hunt next year. It's about 5-10 acres bordering whatever these farm fields are.

Thanks in advance.

post-871-14176606723572_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Farms often rotate crops from year to year. Your best bet would be to talk to the farmer and see what he's got planned.

Yea. The farm land isn't land I could hunt. Was just curious. I'm hoping to take a look at the land in a few weeks to see if it has deer sign. I'm thinking it might be a decent spot since it's the only wooded area near a bunch of farm land

Thanks guys. If the property looks good and we can hunt it, I can try to find out what the Farm has and then plant something different on the piece we can hunt, like a 1/2 acre plot or something in the middle of the woods

Deer will be bedding at the back of that property along the swamp edges and islands in it. Might get some action on those 7 acres, transitional possibly. Not bad for a 7 acre piece. Just tough to hunt them often and tougher to know that the best party is next door.

Thanks again all. Some more info on this 7 acre piece. It was used for years as a hunting property by 1 man who passed away over 10 years years ago. His adult children inherited it and used it for a year or two to camp on, but haven't used it since. It is for sale for dirt cheap, so if someone buys it to build a house, it would end any thoughts of hunting on it anyway.

Deer will be bedding at the back of that property along the swamp edges and islands in it. Might get some action on those 7 acres, transitional possibly. Not bad for a 7 acre piece. Just tough to hunt them often and tougher to know that the best party is next door.

What about putting in a 1/2 acre or 1 acre foot plot? Could that potentially draw some deer in? Where I currently hunt about 10-15 miles away, I drew deer into 2 foot by 2 foot section of throw and grow, nice bucks midday. But it was all eaten before xbow season.

What about putting in a 1/2 acre or 1 acre foot plot? Could that potentially draw some deer in? Where I currently hunt about 10-15 miles away, I drew deer into 2 foot by 2 foot section of throw and grow, nice bucks midday. But it was all eaten before xbow season.

There's never a concrete answer, but my general thought is that is too much work for a 7 acre parcel of that shape/situation. You'll overhunt that parcel pretty quickly with a hunt or two.

I'd take a stab at it once or twice in early season, then try to see if there are transitional trails that get used heavily in the rut period and hunt them. Assuming there's going to be one or two you find since the property goes deep. You might be able to get a few quality hunts out of it during that time.

Late season...worth a shot based on the crop rotations and deer travel patterns. Who knows...maybe there are alot of oaks in there. That could be a factor.

As I said, never a concrete answer. Just need to scout it, learn the property, and the way the deer utilize it. If this land is flat...I'd consder tree stands. I know you hunt from the ground, but this seems like it'd be suited to a few preset stands.

There's never a concrete answer, but my general thought is that is too much work for a 7 acre parcel of that shape/situation. You'll overhunt that parcel pretty quickly with a hunt or two.

I'd take a stab at it once or twice in early season, then try to see if there are transitional trails that get used heavily in the rut period and hunt them. Assuming there's going to be one or two you find since the property goes deep. You might be able to get a few quality hunts out of it during that time.

Late season...worth a shot based on the crop rotations and deer travel patterns. Who knows...maybe there are alot of oaks in there. That could be a factor.

As I said, never a concrete answer. Just need to scout it, learn the property, and the way the deer utilize it. If this land is flat...I'd consder tree stands. I know you hunt from the ground, but this seems like it'd be suited to a few preset stands.

All makes sense, thanks. My dad might walk the property tomorrow, so we will see. Further digging through town parcel maps and info shows the 401 acre owner has livestock. Not sure if that means much as to what may be on his farm. This property is in Dutchess County by the way.

Thanks again all. Some more info on this 7 acre piece. It was used for years as a hunting property by 1 man who passed away over 10 years years ago. His adult children inherited it and used it for a year or two to camp on, but haven't used it since. It is for sale for dirt cheap, so if someone buys it to build a house, it would end any thoughts of hunting on it anyway.

If it's good buy that sucker yourself! Then you have no worries :beach:

If it's good buy that sucker yourself! Then you have no worries :beach:

It was a thought if the property really looked good, however the way I read it the map it looks like the piece might only be about 250 ft wide, so like 80 yards wide. Next step is what my Dad sees tomorrow when he checks it out.

• Like 1

So my Dad went and looked at the property today. Overall, while it has lots of deer sign, it sounds like it gets a lot of hunting pressure. Below is what he sent me. 

I will just give you a briefing as we can talk more in person or on the phone. It is a 20 minute ride and 17 miles. I knew where the area was but just not familiar with the actual near by roads. There are several deer tracks , deer trails, and dropping in the area. I even found one fresh buck rub. On the left side of the property the posted signs are from " XXXXXXXX Sportsman's Association" On the right side the closest house is closer than expected. I did find 5 tree stands or tree blinds, new and old on the edges of the property. Some are old but some are being used this season. One had a bottle of buck lure and deer attraction scent at the base of the tree. I took pictures. So it is being used this season. I walked back approx. 300 yards back and it then becomes covered with what looks like bamboo stalks and mushy terrain. I did not go back any further which prob. comes out to the open fields. The property itself is wet with several little streams zig- zaging across it. There are also a lot of thorns and thickets. Great cover for deer. From where the guy has the for sale sign it would be only 70 yards approx. to the posted signs on the left, and approx. 70 yards from the house on the right. Remember there are a few vacant lots to the right, so the property seems very narrow. My concern is all the hunting stands which are pretty close together. I'm not sure if they are on the edge of the property or just off the edges on bordering property. Route XX is directly across the street within 75 yards up hill. I took several pictures on the property, tree stands, and the old shack on the property so you can see what I mean.

I did not see any hunters, but I have a feeling some of the bordering close houses along the road are hunters and have the tree stands set up for there use.

In other news, someone I work with said I could probably hunt some private land next year in Colchester (somewhere near Roscoe).

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld