Variable Eye Relief

Elmo

I thought the higher end, razor stuff is made is Japan.  And the rest was Phillipines, except the low end which was china.  Understand your point, but I will say that the viper binos I have are really top notch at a fraction of the cost of zeiss and swaro.

BTW - I thought some leupold stuff is made in china also.

My info may be obsolete, because this was a few years ago.

At that time I read that Burris was the only scope that was 100% American made. Leupold was American made EXCEPT for thier glass, which they bought from whomever could meet thier specs.

At the time I read that info, I had never heard of Vortex. They probably weren't being made yet.

I also need to check out Vortex because of thier avid supporters on this forum, such as Culver, WNYbuck and Moog...

I have 3 of their scopes and have owned Leupolds in the past. I think the glass is as good. It is a lifetime transferable warranty. Basically it is a fix or replace guarantee and no questions asked. Good friend bought a crossfire and after a couple range sessions the fine cross hair broke off. He called, shipped it to them and had a new scope in about 4 days.

I believe.

Razor=made in Japan including the glass.

Vipers=made in Japan including the glass.

Diamondbacks =made in Phillipines

Not sure about the crossfires.

Even those products that can legally claim "made in the US" can have "negligible" parts manufactured outside of the US.  I also prefer to support US companies (which vortex is), but recognize the practicalities (ex. good luck finding US made electronics).  Negligible is a term open to interpretation but I believe that's why leupold removed that stamp from its scopes.  Regardless, I would still buy leupold or vortex as they manufacture quality products at a reasonable price. 

I have 3 of their scopes and have owned Leupolds in the past. I think the glass is as good. It is a lifetime transferable warranty. Basically it is a fix or replace guarantee and no questions asked. Good friend bought a crossfire and after a couple range sessions the fine cross hair broke off. He called, shipped it to them and had a new scope in about 4 days.

I believe.

Razor=made in Japan including the glass.

Vipers=made in Japan including the glass.

Diamondbacks =made in Phillipines

Not sure about the crossfires.

According to the guy I talked to, all of the made in USA scopes have rediculous magnification & HUGE objective lenses.

The only 40mm objective or smaller scopes were made in Phillipenes. He cited the Viper 3-9X40 as such.

Another thing I don't like about the Vortex is the sooper dooper fancy reticles. I use a chronograph & computer progran to sight my rifles in for maximum + or - 3" point blank range. I can use the duplex reticle to estimate range if needed but unless I shoot over 270yds with my 8X57 or about 310yds with something like a 270, I just hold center of the lungs & they die. It leaves all the calculations out of it.

I like to keep it simple when the chips are down & I have to take a shot. That's just me

Edited by wildcat junkie

mine are just duplex

Well, to be fair, the Plex automatic calculator yada, yada reticle isn't much more complicated than a simple duplex. It ain't as bad as some of the stuff I see these days.

A 3-9 Leupy std duplex substends about 5" at 100yds at 9X, 10" at 200yds, 15" at 300yds, 20" at 400yds etc, etc. If i can just fit a mature buck's chest between the duplex he is pretty damned close to 300yds. My 8X57 would be 6 1/2"" below POA & the top of the bottom duplex would be 7 1/2 below POA. I would need to hold the top of the bottom duplex 1/3 up from the brisket to hit just below vertical center in the chest.

Pretty simple.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

Even those products that can legally claim "made in the US" can have "negligible" parts manufactured outside of the US.  I also prefer to support US companies (which vortex is), but recognize the practicalities (ex. good luck finding US made electronics).  Negligible is a term open to interpretation but I believe that's why leupold removed that stamp from its scopes.  Regardless, I would still buy leupold or vortex as they manufacture quality products at a reasonable price. 

I put more emphasis on supporting American workers than "American companies". "American companies can claim that status W/O emplying anyone here in manufacturing. then, to rub salt into the wounds, they dodge taxes 7 stash $$$ in offshore havens.

Somewhere this snowball has to be slowwed down then stopped or there are only going to be a few fortunate sons that can live a comfortable lifestyle. We'll all be poaching the Walton's & Koch brother's deer to survive.

Germany has the highest labor costs in the world, yet they have a trade surplus & make more automobiles, within Germany itself, than the U S of A.

Why is that?

Edited by wildcat junkie

I just called Vortex. all of their hunting sized scopes are made in the Phillipines or China so I'm not interested in cutting the throats of American workers to save few $$$.

all glass is made in China. There's been a review done on them. Assembly may be in the USA for some companies.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems