Got another doe today

fasteddie

I had cleared the driveway with the snowblower and was sitting on my butt relaxing . A friend of mine who doesn't hunt and won't let anyone hunt his property called me up . He had been out jogging for a training run and came across a bedded doe that could hardly get up . He said her leg was shattered and didn't want the yotes to start feeding on her and would I come over to put the deer down . I said i'd be there in 1/2 hour .

When I got there , I got out my shotgun and put a couple shells in it and we headed for the pines . The doe was still laying down but got up and tried to hobble away . One shot in the lungs and she was done . My friend went back and got his tractor with a bucket and hauled it to the barn after I field dressed the doe . It dawned on me afterward that the heart had turned to pulp with the blast .

When I got her home , I hung her in the garage and skinned it . The right leg was shattered but the left leg looked nasty and so did the left rear leg . I think the deer had been hit by a vehicle . There wasn't any bruising but it didn't look good .I had to throw away quite a bit but the backstraps looked fine and I got several packages of burger . She's in the freezer .

It wasn't really hunting but it's meat in the freezer !

My friend isn't a venison eater but said he'd try some burger . Maybe i'll make him some jerky as he cross country skis and he just might like that .

I think you did the right thing too. Just wondering though could not a DEC officer give you a possesion tag for something like that so you could get a free tag so to say?

I thought about that but the way the weather has been it didn't hurt me to burn up an 8H Tag . If I hunt Wayne County , i'll wait until ML season .

same thing happened to me 2 days ago.  While hunting a small doe came limping/falling down the hill.  I watched her for a few min and the front left leg was broken with an open wound, not bleeding, above the leg.  I felt bad taking the shot on such a young deer but knew it wouldnt survive the winter/yotes.