Can this muzzleloader be fired?

CNYScott

This is a bit embarrassing - I'm an experienced shooter, relatively new to black powder.

I have a TC that was put up three deer seasons ago with a round/powder in the barrel with all other mechanisms removed to be safe.  I never did get out again and it has sat in my gun safe.

I'd like to hunt muzzleloader next week and would like to clear the old round and powder and practice at the range this Saturday before I head out. 

Is it safe to discharge this round after three years?  If not, what is the procedure for removing a round from a front loader without discharging the firearm?

Advice is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

You've got a couple of options. You could swab the barrel ,cap it , see what happens. Muzzle loaders have been known to discharge after many years of being stored with a charge. If it doesn't go BOOM you have to pull the ball and charge. TC recomends soaking the breach in water for a day before you try to pull the load. Check your owners manual, it'll guide you through.

What kind of T/C? If it has a load in it , and the Gun has a breech plug, and it hasn't been cleaned in 3 yrs good luck removing the breech plug unless you loaded the plug up with grease. Also Black powder is extremely corrosive where ever it touched metal and sat for 3 yrs could be ruined. If gun has a breech plug, try to remove and use your ram rod to clear out the barrel. If its an old caplock and you have had a load of goex black powder in it for 3 yrs your probably screwed and the barrel is ruined. Black powder is nasty. My friend left a load in his caplock for a yr and the powder killed the gun, the barrel was nothing but rust. Expensive lesson in front stuffer school.

It's an intro level muzzleloader with a round and 209 pellets in it.  Breech plug was removed so it would not fire.  Had intended to head back out in a day or two at the time, three years later still has not happened. 

I'll attempt to remove it tonight without firing it and inspect the barrel.  Hoping luck is on my side on this one and there is no damage.  I'm always a stickler for gun care - habit from my infantry days.  Hoping this one exception didn't cost me a reliable gun.

You  pulled the breech plug? It can not fire unless a cap is placed on it.

If the plug is out of it, just knock the projectile and pellets out with the ram rod, and then give it an appropriate cleaning. I doubt you will have any damage if it was stored properly.

In the future keep the plug in it. It is totally safe loaded between hunts with no cap on it... just not a good idea for extended time periods in case it is forgotten about. At the end of the season, just pull the plug and knock the load out if you dont fire it. Be sure to clean it for storage after though.

Did the same thing in my younger days got home late forgot to take it out next year what a project.the powder will corroad. And most likely the round also will be rusted in.soak it if you can,I had to use a cut off aluminum arrow on a drill and cut out the round it took time but I did salvage the gun only 1 year later has cery slight pits in bore but it still fires the same,good luck well never do that agaiN,lol

• 2 months later...

If it is an inline mzldr, just push the charge out the breech end with a wooden dowel and hammer. I am surprised the charge stayed in the barrel once the breech plug was removed.

Word of advise, never store your gun with powder in it........................very corrosive, damage to the barrel "will" happen.

FDXX75