Adding FAT

the blur

I prefer beef suet over pork as pork fat does not freeze!! This was told to me by an old butcher/farmer who has since passed: pork starts putrifying immediately (this is how the myth of venison only lasting 6 months started. Beef suet freezes solid and can be kept a long time. Mind most people might not need to keep meat that long but put 3-5 deer into ground and you need it to last a long time, especially if your the only one to eat it!!  Another friend adds bacon to his ground when he perpares the meal prefering to freeze venison with out anything added. Most Gamey meat i have had in summer can be attributed to adding pork fat to it the previous fall!

Just my 2 cents.  Beef suet is gone once it's cooked, leaving the meat as dry as plain venison,  Years ago, before I did my own butchering, the processor used beef suet and that's how I got this opinion.  If it works for you, go for it.

Not a myth does not freeze solid ask any butcher, thats why pork is only recomended to be kept only 6 months or so frozen.so your summer burgers are partialy rancid!  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_can_you_freeze_pork_loin

Partly right, here is a good site on food safety (sorry I'm a foodie)  http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp

Its not that it goes bad it's that the quality suffers.

• 5 months later...

I always trim ALL of the venison fat away when I butcher a deer...if not, the steaks will taste like candle wax.

I mix 1 part pork backfat to 3 parts well trimmed venison for ground venison....it holds together much better, doesn't stick to the pan, and the burgers/sausage don't fall apart when you try to grill them. If you are worried about fat content in your food, the pork backfat generally seperates during cooking, all you have to do is drain it off.

I've put pork backfat in the freezer fior years, it DOES freeze solid. If it's not freezing for you, you may want to get your freezer checked out.

Edited by Uncle Nicky