Question for FSW

jjb4900

this question has been on my mind for quite some time, why is it that there aren't any deer farmers that raise Mule Deer? maybe they do and I just never saw it......if raising deer is such a big industry why doesn't this exist? I would think it would be an untapped resource in the Eastern U.S. if it's possible.........totally honest question.

FSW would know better than me, but I believe there is high-fence Mule Deer hunts in Texas and Mexico.  Both time I hunted Mule Deer were in Wyoming, where (from what I am told) it is illegal to have a high-fence operation.

Google search turned this place up > http://www.texasmuledeerbreeders.com/muledeer-bucks.html#

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

White-tail deer are more of a "trophy" to MOST eastern hunters and a more desirable animal to hunt since they can't kill one free range they can go and cork a monster buck on a cushy farm hunt.  They drop a $5,000-$12,000 and most of their family and friends don't even know (or care) where it was shot and that it has a bar code on its ass. :)

A great white-tail is the most in demand animal because it is the most popular game animal.

Just my $.02...............

• Like 3

Outfitters get those prices already on free range Mule deer hunts so probably no market for farm raised mule deer. Many $10k+ trophy free range mule deer hunts out there.

How about $40K for a sheep hunt 100% free range, now that's crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Not so crazy if you want a sheep and can afford the 40K...Evidently some folks can.

I'm too old to hunt sheep and couldn't afford to hunt one for 4K...

Too bad... It would certainly be a cool hunt..

Wish I could afford it too. Appears the Dall in AK is the cheapest way to go but still looking at $15-20k when all said and done. Still very tough to justify

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Outfitters get those prices already on free range Mule deer hunts so probably no market for farm raised mule deer. Many $10k+ trophy free range mule deer hunts out there.

Hold on.......there is no guarantee on those free range muley hunts. 

I'd bet a dollar to donuts that the high fence hunt for white-tails comes with pretty good guarantee of success on a slob!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

Hold on.......there is no guarantee on those free range muley hunts.

I'd bet a dollar to donuts that the high fence hunt for white-tails comes with pretty good guarantee of success on a slob!

Not sure if your serious or not. I can't imagine those hunts are guarenteed, the animals are not trained to line up for the hunter.

this question has been on my mind for quite some time, why is it that there aren't any deer farmers that raise Mule Deer? maybe they do and I just never saw it......if raising deer is such a big industry why doesn't this exist? I would think it would be an untapped resource in the Eastern U.S. if it's possible.........totally honest question.

I am not sure why nobody ever pushed the Mule deer. I do have a straw from a 200in mule deer shot in the wild that i am going to cross with a whitetail this fall. Was going to try it this last fall but with only artificial breeding 15 does this year and 15 with bucks i was a tad short on does. This fall i will be breeding about 60 does so i will cross this fall. They are a really nice looking animal speaking of the few i have seen. I watched a show not to long ago where they were killing free range hybrids out west somewhere.

Not sure if your serious or not. I can't imagine those hunts are guarenteed, the animals are not trained to line up for the hunter.

Now I'm not sure if YOU are serious?? :)

I don't think anybody goes how without the biggest buck their pocket book can handle................I have a friend who hunted the Sanctuary many years ago (20 at least) and he ended up shooting two..........just pass the bar code scanner over 'em and you'll get a price before you shoot them.........

It's a shoot, not a hunt from what I have seen and read about.

• Like 1

I am not sure why nobody ever pushed the Mule deer. I do have a straw from a 200in mule deer shot in the wild that i am going to cross with a whitetail this fall. Was going to try it this last fall but with only artificial breeding 15 does this year and 15 with bucks i was a tad short on does. This fall i will be breeding about 60 does so i will cross this fall. They are a really nice looking animal speaking of the few i have seen. I watched a show not to long ago where they were killing free range hybrids out west somewhere.

didn't really answer my question which was asked in total honesty, but at least you got the chance to promote your agenda........very nice.

didn't really answer my question which was asked in total honesty, but at least you got the chance to promote your agenda........very nice.

Well wtf would you like me to tell ya. There are a few on a ranch 40 miles up the road from me They sell some hunts but nothing like Whitetails. Probably 10 to 1 . Why they never turned big in high fence? Maybe because not alot of hunters hunt them or know much about them in many parts or the country? Not pretty enough? Does not grow more than just the same old typical rack every year? Could be a number of things.

There is no agenda on this end. Just a strong growing business 15 plus years old and growing stronger than ever.

I would think Mule Deer could be grown into crazy varieties considering the branches antlers as opposed to just beams on a whitetail. I would think naturally there are more non typical mule deer racks than non typical whitetails. Many older mule deer have stickers etc that whitetails don't typically have

Well wtf would you like me to tell ya. There are a few on a ranch 40 miles up the road from me They sell some hunts but nothing like Whitetails. Probably 10 to 1 . Why they never turned big in high fence? Maybe because not alot of hunters hunt them or know much about them in many parts or the country? Not pretty enough? Does not grow more than just the same old typical rack every year? Could be a number of things.

There is no agenda on this end. Just a strong growing business 15 plus years old and growing stronger than ever.

Does anyone ever go home empty handed at your place?

Edited by Lawdwaz

well there you go, that answered more of my question then your first response.........

On a side note, I think that in the wild it is harder to kill a booner mule deer 190" than a booner whitetail 170". I read somewhere once that killing a booner muley these days is the toughest big game animal to get in the book. Not sure if that's based on entries per year per species out in the wild or what....

Probably blacktail and Coues tougher than whitetail as well. Not sure if I'm missing another subspecies?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Now I'm not sure if YOU are serious?? :)

I don't think anybody goes how without the biggest buck their pocket book can handle................I have a friend who hunted the Sanctuary many years ago (20 at least) and he ended up shooting two..........just pass the bar code scanner over 'em and you'll get a price before you shoot them.........

It's a shoot, not a hunt from what I have seen and read about.

I love ya Law, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. Not looking to get into a pissing match, but I definitely think a well run HF preserve can be a real hunt. There's a few preserves that give the rest a bad name (small area, unhealthy animals, etc) but I've hunted a couple that were really nice. The operators had a real passion & cared about the wellbeing of the animals. The animals were healthy & they had a lot of space to live. I've hunted or been along on hunts behind HF a few times, not once did an animal get shot as it was cornered in a fence, nor did they get shot at a feeder. They were wild animals, & many were born in the preserve, having very little human contact their entire lives. Just because they may see humans doesn't make them trusting or tame. If that's the case then 99.9% of whitetails can't be considered truly wild because almost all of them have some type of contact with people. It wasn't just walking out and shooting. As far as I'm concerned, it's hunting (on a good preserve). It's not for everyone, but I don't look down on it at all. I'm not ashamed to say I've done it. I have no regrets & would hunt HF again in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing I'll get bashed for posting this, but oh well.  It's my opinion, & I'm sticking to it.

On a side note, I think that in the wild it is harder to kill a booner mule deer 190" than a booner whitetail 170". I read somewhere once that killing a booner muley these days is the toughest big game animal to get in the book. Not sure if that's based on entries per year per species out in the wild or what....

Probably blacktail and Coues tougher than whitetail as well. Not sure if I'm missing another subspecies?

There ya go. You just fixed your other post from above. Mule deer as a norm grow a more clean typical rack hence its harder to add up the bone in inches.

I love ya Law, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. Not looking to get into a pissing match, but I definitely think a well run HF preserve can be a real hunt. There's a few preserves that give the rest a bad name (small area, unhealthy animals, etc) but I've hunted a couple that were really nice. The operators had a real passion & cared about the wellbeing of the animals. The animals were healthy & they had a lot of space to live. I've hunted or been along on hunts behind HF a few times, not once did an animal get shot as it was cornered in a fence, nor did they get shot at a feeder. They were wild animals, & many were born in the preserve, having very little human contact their entire lives. Just because they may see humans doesn't make them trusting or tame. If that's the case then 99.9% of whitetails can't be considered truly wild because almost all of them have some type of contact with people. It wasn't just walking out and shooting. As far as I'm concerned, it's hunting (on a good preserve). It's not for everyone, but I don't look down on it at all. I'm not ashamed to say I've done it. I have no regrets & would hunt HF again in a heartbeat.

I'm guessing I'll get bashed for posting this, but oh well.  It's my opinion, & I'm sticking to it.

Givin the chance...And a free ride...Most everyone on this site would go hunt high fence. Of course they will deny it but if the truth be known....And many have said they would...As long as it was not the beloved bambi.  A pig,A fence..No Problem!

• Like 3

There ya go. You just fixed your other post from above. Mule deer as a norm grow a more clean typical rack hence its harder to add up the bone in inches.

What? Mule Deer have branches while whitetails have beams, 2 totally different types of racks. I stand by what I said earlier that in the wild non typical muleys are more common than nontypical whitetails. 190 and 170 are the mins for typical, nontypical is over 200" I believe for muleys

Givin the chance...And a free ride...Most everyone on this site would go hunt high fence. Of course they will deny it but if the truth be known....And many have said they would...As long as it was not the beloved bambi. A pig,A fence..No Problem!

How much is it to shoot Bambi i might be able to swing that....

FSW - since you don't offer any hunts, aren't you missing out on the even bigger $? I assume HF ranches buy bucks from you? Which means they make a profit by charging guys to hunt them. So why not offer hunts?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld