Question for FSW

jjb4900

Would be more interesting to do. Many of the top record book states are also the top deer farming states. One must wonder how many escapes or let go deer run the woods of those states. I would be willing to bite the bullet and let a half dozen or so sneak out the gate to improve our area.  Think i could get the Ok? lol

The top record book states had those big bucks long before deer farming started. I hope it doesn't come to this. Talk about taking all the mystique out of hunting.

The only advantage to a hunt on a 2000 acre preserve is the deer you want is in there,and if your not looking for a specfic deer there are most likely multpile deer in that horn class 140's or 150's there in an unnaturally occurring abundance. Big bucks do not put up with each other and I'm sure mature breeder bucks are separated or.horns cut off to prevent injury to each other. That is why I. Can't call any fenced hunt fair chase.

Yes I have hunted fenced preserves (won. On a raffle for hog and redstag) and I will say this the whitetail that were in the enclosure did their best to avoid the hunter and "guide" in the pen even though other species were being sought after. But if we were hunting them the challah get would.not of been the same as a wild fair chase hunt.

The top record book states had those big bucks long before deer farming started. I hope it doesn't come to this. Talk about taking all the mystique out of hunting.

And please do tell where you get your info from?  I can show you for a fact just where deer were bought from deer owners back around 1922-1930 in Ohio and i can show you the number 2 non typical record buck that scored 3282/8 back in 1940.in that state.

Can you show some records from that state, taken before these dates?

The only advantage to a hunt on a 2000 acre preserve is the deer you want is in there,and if your not looking for a specfic deer there are most likely multpile deer in that horn class 140's or 150's there in an unnaturally occurring abundance. Big bucks do not put up with each other and I'm sure mature breeder bucks are separated or.horns cut off to prevent injury to each other. That is why I. Can't call any fenced hunt fair chase.

Yes I have hunted fenced preserves (won. On a raffle for hog and redstag) and I will say this the whitetail that were in the enclosure did their best to avoid the hunter and "guide" in the pen even though other species were being sought after. But if we were hunting them the challah get would.not of been the same as a wild fair chase hunt.

If deer are in a preserve they are not going to have their antlers cut to prevent anything. They are there to be hunted. A 2000 acre ranch could have just as many 150 inch bucks as 2000 no fence acres. It all depends how many the person wanted in there. The fact still stands that most hunters would fail taking a single buck out of a 2000 acre ranch and that is as fair chase as it needs to be.

Yes he is inside a fence but if people cant get him out of there it sounds to me he has a better(fair)chance of living then the hunter has of getting him out of there. Thats with a gun. Put a bow in your hand and that buck will most likely die of old age before the average hunter drags his ass out of there.

I meant in breeding pens removing horns, and there is an unnatural number of large bucks in a hunting pen as compared to free range as the high fence hunt wouldn't be bought if there wasn't a better chance of success . If I was unclear I apologize. To me that is a big difference. And yes the average hunter in true fashion would not have succeeded in a pen or outside in your senario

How does one become a Deer farmer/what are the requirement's needed to do so?How much land and what kinda permits would someone need to do this?This would not be for hunting but a food for donations

Permit from Dept of Ag, No special land requirements. Google  Ny state special licences and read about it

I meant in breeding pens removing horns, and there is an unnatural number of large bucks in a hunting pen as compared to free range as the high fence hunt wouldn't be bought if there wasn't a better chance of success . If I was unclear I apologize. To me that is a big difference. And yes the average hunter in true fashion would not have succeeded in a pen or outside in your senario

you are right on the breeder bucks as they are worth much more alive breeding. Now you say more bucks for  a better chance for success!  Why is it hunters drop down 3-5 grand every year to outfitters in states like Iowa and Ohio? That is free range and that is for a better chance at success.

The 3-5 grand on a guided hunt is for a better chance as the guide is suppose to have patterned the target animal,set your stands and done everything I enjoy doing for myself and others.and you are at a greatly reduced hunters per acre. And personaly I can get the same average size bucks that are offered on their own properties off my own property in nys and wouldn't pay to hunt out of state for whitetail. 140 plus gross is quite possible and 130's are consistantly taken off 300 acres.

The 3-5 grand on a guided hunt is for a better chance as the guide is suppose to have patterned the target animal,set your stands and done everything I enjoy doing for myself and others.and you are at a greatly reduced hunters per acre. And personaly I can get the same average size bucks that are offered on their own properties off my own property in nys and wouldn't pay to hunt out of state for whitetail. 140 plus gross is quite possible and 130's are consistantly taken off 300 acres.

I agree and i do it myself on state land but the point is people pay for better chances of killing deer. Be it a 2000 acre ranch or a 100 farm.

I agree and i do it myself on state land but the point is people pay for better chances of killing deer. Be it a 2000 acre ranch or a 100 farm.

Kind of a side note but I have wondered..... Between the terms Farm and Ranch. Are they regional terms or is there actually a size requirement that makes the distinction.

Kind of a side note but I have wondered..... Between the terms Farm and Ranch. Are they regional terms or is there actually a size requirement that makes the distinction.

For me..and most..A farm is just that. Raise animals like any other Ag business. Ranch is termed Hunting Ranch. Hunting,Harvesting,Killing, What have you, is done there. Many more acres and a whole different habitat.

Thats my point when i call bullsh!t on those that say 2000 acres of regular habitat is not fair chase. I know how big 2000 acres behind fence looks like and when you have a couple mountains,piles of swamps, 200 acre corn fields,hardwoods...yeah right..how good of hunting property does that sound like? I know i would not bet someone that i could look at a pic of a deer and say Oh i could pull him out of there with no problem. Wont happen.lol

For me..and most..A farm is just that. Raise animals like any other Ag business. Ranch is termed Hunting Ranch. Hunting,Harvesting,Killing, What have you, is done there. Many more acres and a whole different habitat.

yeah, just wondering because without the "hunting" added I picture like a cattle ranch and thought maybe there was an industry standard that separated the two terms. Thanks.

I forgot Mr. Moderator knows everything and loves to argue with anybody that will listen. I won't.

Or maybe you just need to use your reading skills. I dont claim to know everything, never have. Honestly, I wouldnt have even responded to you the way I did if you hadnt responded with something like "ughh" to begin with. Stuff like that makes you come off as a douche, just so you know.

back to the subject...