For you guys that work out...

growalot

Listen to what Mr. B said ( your not XX any more ) . Before you get heavy into these workouts Go see a doctor and a chyropractor First and see if your body is up to it. I would not listen to the people in the PT. place. Some are in it for the money some are there to help.Been there did and done that. Now I have a worn out upper arm that cannot be fixed.Steady pain, missed most of bow season this year. And all of these home brew remeadys do not work. Be cautious do not jump into something that might screw up the rest of your hunting days.

Thanks guys...most of what I'm doing is what I have been eased into through PT...the upper body weights I'm doing the same,easing into them...actually PT cautioned me about too much over band stretching and curls due to my shoulder issue....to hold off til April then get OK'd for an evaluation...So they can get me in shape for Kyaking starting June.

I have always stayed in pretty good condition through daily hiking the hill and the work I do...plus shoveling this 300 ft drive by hand all winter...Which are the things I do on off days from the gym....Yep the muscle rubbing hurts but helps...even with a long handled roller for the back...then I always have those hot soaks and the heating pad...or even a nice ice pack need be....wink

I know of several people, one women who is 96 right now who never worked out, still lives on her own, never had any heart or joint issues and still walks around Brooklyn NY daily. My wife's grandfather was a bank exec and never worked out and actually had a very sedentary life style and live to 91 with few health issues.

Maybe all this working out is the problem, when you look at guys who have hard physical jobs like roofers, mechanics, carpenters, they are the ones always ending up with joint and tendon operations. People who do little physical labor in their lifestyles are rarely getting knee and shoulder surgeries? Maybe we overuse our bodies and like machinery are just wearing it out.

That maybe very true for many...I personally couldn't do that...probably because I had a Mom that never drove...didn't even have a license ..we walked And hiked every where...She was also an avid out doors person..A Father that had me doing construction work at 12 made me a hard worker.

The surgeon released me today...with a keep at it and tips on how to strengthen the shoulder and avoid injury...Good thing...I was doing every thing but one correct...the most important...He said avid weight lifters would find doing this with 5#'s challenging...Need to rest the shoulder then start again with 1 #..

I actually enjoy the routine of it...the challenges I create with time and or distance...# of reps ...adding new exercises...especially since these cold temps and high winds have kept me out of the woods working....once the good weather gets here I'll have to cut back some. I have a lot of work to do this year...many projects need to get done and now a few new ones have been added that will take me a few years to complete..

Edited by growalot

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was my 12th visit since I joined the gym Jan....I have changed gear with the shoulders and I'm on PT type routine to build them up ...to avoid surgery...actually me and several other ppl whos Dr.'s have recommended the same...I am now up to 5.5 mile on the bike at 15 resistance and average 16-20 miles an hour then 1 mile on the treadmill at 3.0 and an increase to 8 % incline the last half of that mile...all weight machines and some free weights... not as sore  except when I increase things.... then  WOW...yesterday was a WOW day when I got home but woke up fine today...Weight loss...a whopping 4#'s...LOL

I will stay away from all scales...really??? last nights dinner constisted of half a baked cod fillet half a baked tator with tbsp of lite ranch dressing and a tossed salad...lunch a chicken a mustard sandwich...lots of fruit blue berries ...tangerine ....apple...

So I've worked through the pain now...for the most part ;)

Try an Epsom salt bath... Great for sore joints and muscles ... What has your therapist said about it... I normally tell my patients to take some ibuprofen and light stretch for muscle soreness but sounds like ur already doing that.... Sounds counter productive but the warm water with the Epsom salt will help relax the muscle...

Yep doing all that...The soreness is easing up as time goes by and PT guys tell me to just watch for sharp pains...As I increase and add muscle groups I get the expected pains(aches actually) the next day. When I increase on the bike and tread mill...I'm now up to 6 miles on the bike and still the 1 mile on the TM but up to 8% incline for half that...little sore today but not bad at all. So 21 miles a week at the gym and still 1mile each day not in the gym either snow walking or the eliptical...so 25 mile a week....hoping to hit 30 a week at gym by summer with all weight machines and free weights as I'm doing now. Does make those hot soaks in the tub enjoyable...

Full stock of  powerade and I take vitamins daily...I make sure that I go between 9:30 and 10:30 and I leave between 12:30 and 1:30 so I can eat lunch right after..When the weather breaks I should be able to get there sooner...but it takes a long time to drive.usually left over chicken or Chicken sausage and fruit...sometimes a salad with said meats...I'll admit hate the electrolyte drinks..sugar free and salty tasting ...I have a very low salt diet so can taste it in every thing...even fruits sometimes...PT told me mixing water ...which I was doing was a waste for they are formulated to work as is... I tend to gulp them then chase it with water to remove the taste.

Typically if it's a good workout you should feel a little tenderness. But what I've found that helps me most is being well hydrated. I add a couple table spoons of baking soda to a gallon jug of water and try to drink most or all of it before working out (over several hours). The baking soda is basic which should help keep the lactic acid build up down. And just the enormous amount of water should help purge it too. Since I typically work out before lunch, I usually try to make sure I have a banana and pineapple on the days I work out. Bananas have the potassium and pineapple contains amino acids which will help reduce the formation of lactic acid. I also eat a protein bar before working out. Good luck!

• Like 1

Best thing you can do, apart from not over-working muscles, is to take  good quality, collagen based, amino acids.  This are the building blocks of muscle, ligament and tissue and aid in development and healing.

Pain killers are a bad idea. You are in pain for a reason. Ignoring it is not a good plan.

Great lakes hydrolized collagen is the best brand out there. 

• 1 month later...

Best thing you can do, apart from not over-working muscles, is to take good quality, collagen based, amino acids. This are the building blocks of muscle, ligament and tissue and aid in development and healing.

Pain killers are a bad idea. You are in pain for a reason. Ignoring it is not a good plan.

Great lakes hydrolized collagen is the best brand out there.

Not trying to start a fight here, but sorry to burst your bubble ! Taking exogenous collagen does not rebuild tissue, and the healing process for ligamentous type tissue involves scar tissue , just a matter of how you manage that development through gradual stress to the tissue as to not become to stiff n rigid or brittle ... The research has shown no conclusive evidence for collagen based supplements , and I'm sorry but the proof is in the pudding, and momma didn't make no pudding lol... If this were the case I along with other therapists would be out a business ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depression... I know that much of the pain I do get is due to swelling...the surgeon had me on regimen of Ibuprofen...my exercising actually helps with the swelling in the long run. so I now only use it when swelling is bad..That happens when I stand in one place a long time...or walk a lot on concrete...ironing or shopping.

I'm now trying to figure out the whole platue, target heart rate thing...With 3-31/2 steady hours at the gym 3x's a week and that includes 90 mins. of cardio..plus a mile on the Elliptical on days off..total of 40 miles a week. One would think I would have lost at least some weight. When I started in Jan I had a hard time getting my heart rate to come back down from 157. Friday I was having a difficult time getting it to 145. I have increased my work out intensity a great deal since Jan.

Edited by growalot

Swelling will increase if your leg is in a dependent position (standing/ sitting with feet on floor) for a period of time due to gravity and yes the exercise will help with that because of the "muscle pump" mainly in your calfs that push on veins/ lymphatic vessels to push blood/ fluid along and out of the leg ... U can elevate the leg as well and due ankle pumps , I'm sure PT gave u those early on ... But the heart rate deal, you proved your own point there, at first you couldn't get it to come down quickly enough, and now doesn't go as high with the same amount of work your doing... This is a GOOD thing! Your cardiovascular system is becoming more efficient . Target heart rates aren't everything, increasing duration and/or most likely intensity by turning up the resistance on the elliptical or increasing speed and elevation on the treadmill are ways you can do that ... And I'm assuming your watching what you eat in combination with working out? Sometimes initial weight loss can be masked by gains in lean muscle mass and you have been doing a fair amount of exercise since the surgery ... Sucks but I'm reaching the point where I can't out exercise my eating habits too , we all do. Has to be both if you want to lose any significant amount of weight... Oh ya, and if your icing the knee , DO NOT leave it on for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, anything beyond that and it will actually increase swelling ! The body as a protective mechanism actually senses the area to be getting too cold so it will signal more blood flow to warm the area and with that comes more fluid .... Ok I'm off my soap box now lol... Sounds like you've come a long way from hobbling back to Mr. B at the house .... Turkey season will at least be more enjoyable for ya !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have..they never operated on the torn ACL...he's relying on my maintaining the muscle strength ,to keep the left knee stabilized ...the right knee is in great shape since he took out 2/3's on the meniscus the year before last.

As far as eating..We tried everything..Now I'm back to the several small portions a day thing... which I find hard...I do not eat out...never fry ,rarely eat potatoes avoid corn and peas...never drink soda..rarely drink wine and only 2-3 alcohol drinks a week if that. Dr's can't figure it out..as I've mentioned before, I'm not a small woman.They've tested my thyroid more times than I can count. Even the trainer I talked to is not understanding it. Is what it is...as long as I can continue what I'm doing and avoid injuries I can't let it get me down...Well I'm off to the gym in a little bit ..have a great day!

Not trying to start a fight here, but sorry to burst your bubble ! Taking exogenous collagen does not rebuild tissue, 

It is the amino acids that do this. And Collagen contains a lot of them. Irrespective of what any studies may claim, I have personal experience of accelerated healing following years of chronic pain and reduced mobility.

Our bodies only synthesize 10 of the at least 20 known required amino acids. The rest needs to come from food sources.

You can increase the bodies ability to produce collagen by eating certain foods such as animal protein and vitamin C. Collagen as a food source is rich in the former. A chronic lack of Vitamin C reduces the bodes ability to form collagen. Scurvy, of course, is a classic  manifestation of the bodies collapsing ability to make connective fibers.

There must be a reason why body builders and athletes eat certain foods for the production and healing of muscle and other connective tissue.

Edited by Papist

I'm now trying to figure out the whole platue, target heart rate thing...With 3-31/2 steady hours at the gym 3x's a week and that includes 90 mins. of cardio..plus a mile on the Elliptical on days off..total of 40 miles a week. One would think I would have lost at least some weight. When I started in Jan I had a hard time getting my heart rate to come back down from 157. Friday I was having a difficult time getting it to 145. I have increased my work out intensity a great deal since Jan.

Losing weight is enormously difficult to do in terms of permanent results. The body has layers of built in weight set points (for protection)  that are very hard to break through. The fastest way through them is basically to starve yourself . You see actors do this a lot for roles they need to lose a lot of weight for. And they generally really do starve. Read Matthew McConaughey's  weight lose account for his Dallas movie.

Of, course this a bad idea and results in all kinds of future problems. and if you return to regular eating patterns the weight, plus more, returns. People seem to be getting good results from a process called intermittent fasting. Look it up

Edited by Papist

I Actually have to eat more regularly...my problem is I have a problem with breakfast...Coffey and an English muffin is all I can hand..then I go out to work and forget to eat...next thing I know it's 4pm..

So I'm drinking tons of water and eating small portions several times a day...like a piece of fruit in the car on the way home from gym or mid morning ..then soup or a no bread sandwich for lunch. The mid afternoon snack..no fat c.cheese or yogurt and or raw veggies..dinner is meat and veggies on a saucer.

Today I hit my goal of 12 mile per gym day plus free weights and machines..I will continue to push it until I reach my 15 miles per gym day plus..ect..etc....I'll either loose or not...but I do know I feel great... I leave the gym on a "high" that lasts about 3 hours...So that alone is worth all the sweat equity.

Edited by growalot

There have been a lot studies done with people recovering from eating disorders or starvation. The body gets used to operating on lower amounts of food. It is not operating at optimal capacity, but just about managing to get along. There are similar issues when you don't eat enough food at regular intervals.

It then becomes very difficult to re-feed the body and start to force more food in, especially when there is a suppressed appetite. Invariably weight gain ensues and the weight distribution can be very odd. Girls coming out of anorexia report enormous bellies initially, like someone pregnant. Eventually however the body becomes comfortable and a new set point is achieved. Regular eating combined with exercise usually results in normal size and weight distribution. I takes time however.

• 5 weeks later...

Well Today was my 32 trip to the gym this year...doing well..had the 10# loss and my blood work came back yesterday...normal everything and dbl under lined, low heart risk...HDL good- higher than the HDL bad..plus the BP being low...Still doing the 3-31/2 hrs 3x's a week and today was my 11th time doing the 12miles per session...hope to be at 15m. by June...So if I get off the BP meds it will be well worth it...besides...it's sorta fun....I did say sorta... ;)