Ruger .308

I was explaining what he said when you said you didn't understand it. In your case, what is different that is making it feel that way?

same bullets but totally different rifles.....I also have two .308's that are night and day in felt recoil, but again different rifles. I think some one earlier said they heard a .308 has less recoil than a 30-06, I don't think you can make that blanket statement and be accurate because of the variations in rifle's out there.

yes.....that's why I had ended one of my earlier responses by saying recoil will vary rifle to rifle.

My post was a long winded explanation of why recoil will vary from rifle to rifle.

The weight of the rifle & the stock geometry is why. When the rfile is lightweight, stock geometry becomes a HUGE factor.

Years ago I built my brother-in-law, Daniel, a nice "Ohio Vally" .50cal muzzle loading rifle.

I got my hands on a 36" x 7/8" Douglas octagon barrel in .50, something that officailly didn't exist. It was opined that it was a "back door" barrel, most likely done by someone that worked @ Douglas had made on the QT since the smallest cross section .50 Douglas profile was 15/16"

Anyway, it made a nice lightweight rifle. The cast traditional cresent brass buttplate I used was very near 90° & when the top of the heel was angled W/the comb. The angle in relation to ones shoulder was quite pronounced, angling forward @ the toe. (bottom)

As usual, I took the time to sight the rifle in & "adjust" the fixed sights W/a file & punch before doing any metal or wood finish. W/hunting loads of 90gr FFFg behind a patched .490 RB, the rifle would rare up & drive the comb into one's cheek bone. After firing about 10 rounds, I had the rifle sighted in, but my face looked like I had gone a few rounds W/Mike Tyson. My cheek was quite swolen. It was so bad that my right eye was partially closed.

I turned the rifle over to Daniel to varify the POI. When he retrned the weapon several days later for me to do the final finish, I asked him what he thought.

"Well," he said.

"It beat the $hit out of you didn't it?" I replied.

He answered, "yeah."

I heated up the brass casting to a dull red & bent the toe of the cresent to the rear, making the angle in relationship to the shoulder to  near 0°. That turned the evil face beater into a docile, pleasant to shoot rifle.

Rifles W/stocks that have the buttplate angled forward @ the toe will tend to rise upon recoil as will older style stocks W/a lot of "drop" @ the comb. Modern assualt weapons have the sights mounted high for a reason. That puts the bore axis in a straight line W/the shoulder, thus sending recoil in a straight line into the shooters body. That reduced muzzle rise  significantly.

Another bit of stock geometry that reduces felt recoil is "cast on". Cast on angles the rear of the stock towards the shooter's face. This makes the rifle tend to recoil away (horizontally) from the shooters face. 

My 7 1/2# (all up weight W/scope/sling/ammo) 8X57 generates 3300 ft # of Me W/"adult pressure" loads, yet it is not unpleasant to shoot dispite having a curved metal buttplate. The angle of the buttplate is nearly 0°, the drop is not ecessive & there is considerable cast on. In the picture below, you can see the angle of the buttplate & the nearly straight line from the bore axis to the heel (top) of the butt.

VZ500ObendorfMauser007-1.jpg

Make no mistake, this rifle has considerable recoil. The laws of physics coupled W/3300# of Me & relatively light AUW dictate that. What it does, is transmit the considerable recoil straight into the shoulder & not the face/head. That reduces "felt" recoil.

Edited by wildcat junkie

My post was a long winded explanation of why recoil will vary from rifle to rifle.

The weight of the rifle & the stock geometry is why. When the rfile is lightweight, stock geometry becomes a HUGE factor.

Years ago I built my brother-in-law, Daniel, a nice "Ohio Vally" .50cal muzzle loading rifle.

I got my hands on a 36" x 7/8" Douglas octagon barrel in .50, something that officailly didn't exist. It was opined that it was a "back door" barrel, most likely done by someone that worked @ Douglas had made on the QT since the smallest cross section .50 Douglas profile was 15/16"

Anyway, it made a nice lightweight rifle. The cast traditional cresent brass buttplate I used was very near 90° & when the top of the heel was angled W/the comb. The angle in relation to ones shoulder was quite pronounced, angling forward @ the toe. (bottom)

As usual, I took the time to sight the rifle in & "adjust" the fixed sights W/a file & punch before doing any metal or wood finish. W/hunting loads of 90gr FFFg behind a patched .490 RB, the rifle would rare up & drive the comb into one's cheek bone. After firing about 10 rounds, I had the rifle sighted in, but my face looked like I had gone a few rounds W/Mike Tyson. My cheek was quite swolen. It was so bad that my right eye was partially closed.

I turned the rifle over to Daniel to varify the POI. When he retrned the weapon several days later for me to do the final finish, I asked him what he thought.

"Well," he said.

"It beat the $hit out of you didn't it?" I replied.

He answered, "yeah."

I heated up the brass casting to a dull red & bent the toe of the cresent to the rear, making the angle in relationship to the shoulder to  near 0°. That turned the evil face beater into a docile, pleasant to shoot rifle.

Rifles W/stocks that have the buttplate angled forward @ the toe will tend to rise upon recoil as will older style stocks W/a lot of "drop" @ the comb. Modern assualt weapons have the sights mounted high for a reason. That puts the bore axis in a straight line W/the shoulder, thus sending recoil in a straight line into the shooters body. That reduced muzzle rise  significantly.

Another bit of stock geometry that reduces felt recoil is "cast on". Cast on angles the rear of the stock towards the shooter's face. This makes the rifle tend to recoil away (horizontally) from the shooters face. 

My 7 1/2# (all up weight W/scope/sling/ammo) 8X57 generates 3300 ft # of Me W/"adult pressure" loads, yet it is not unpleasant to shoot dispite having a curved metal buttplate. The angle of the buttplate is nearly 0°, the drop is not ecessive & there is considerable cast on. In the picture below, you can see the angle of the buttplate & the nearly straight line from the bore axis to the heel (top) of the butt.

VZ500ObendorfMauser007-1.jpg

Make no mistake, this rifle has considerable recoil. The laws of physics coupled W/3300# of Me & relatively light AUW dictate that. What it does, is transmit the considerable recoil straight into the shoulder & not the face/head. That reduces "felt" recoil.

yes, I'm aware why some rifles recoil differently then others, my "I have no idea what you just said" comment was a failed attempt at some humor directed at your extensive, but informative, response as to why guns recoil differently.