Ohio Hunter Sentiment - Potential NY Model?

phade

My brother in law has gone to Ohio for the last 10 years. Deer numbers way down since he started going. In the beginning they were giving out so many doe permits it was crazy. Now not that much. He still goes looking for that big buck. He feels the longer bow season gives you more opportunity to hunt. 

My brother in law has gone to Ohio for the last 10 years. Deer numbers way down since he started going. In the beginning they were giving out so many doe permits it was crazy. Now not that much. He still goes looking for that big buck. He feels the longer bow season gives you more opportunity to hunt. 

Ten years ago there was about 170k killed. Last year, there was about 170k killed.

Weird.

• Like 1

Ten years ago there was about 170k killed. Last year, there was about 170k killed.

Weird.

But here are the numbers for some years in between

Hunters killed more than 261,000 deer during the 2009-10 season after tagging about 252,000 the season before. The kill has dropped annually since, from 239,400 in 2010-11 to 191,400 in 2013-14.

not as weird any more

But here are the numbers for some years in between

Hunters killed more than 261,000 deer during the 2009-10 season after tagging about 252,000 the season before. The kill has dropped annually since, from 239,400 in 2010-11 to 191,400 in 2013-14.

not as weird any more

And the dnr has stated they wanted to get BACK to the 170k range. They hit the window of the percent they wanted to reduce their herd this year in 9 of 10 zones/co. We cant really do that here now, unless you disagree.

And the dnr has stated they wanted to get BACK to the 170k range. They hit the window of the percent they wanted to reduce their herd this year in 9 of 10 zones/co. We cant really do that here now, unless you disagree.

No I agree... I also agree there are a lot of things we can't do like Ohio.. mainly because we're not Ohio :)

No I agree... I also agree there are a lot of things we can't do like Ohio.. mainly because we're not Ohio :)

We could be if hunters and managers/gov't actually designed a system that works instead of talking about talking about changes to the system, ending up with a mediocre reinvention of its former self year after year, five year plan after five year plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Ohios plan would not be perfect for NY, though it would be a good model to steal and try. Then again, NYs model on deer hunting would only be good for states who wanted to cut ENCON staff and hunter enjoyment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk