Leaving the corporate world.

First-light

On June 30, 2015 at 2:59 PM, burmjohn said:

So how's it going?

So here we are April 2017. 19 months after I purchased the route. I just sold it yesterday…….I'm very happy! Unfortunately I lost two stores in the beginning which hurt my bottom line. A&P went bankrupt a month after I bought. It was a difficult time but I hung in there but came to the decision that my life was being run by this business. Very limited time at the cabin and hunting season. Although my afternoons were free come 8:oo I was in bed cause I would be getting up at 3:30 am. Right now going to spend the weekend watching my kids soccer games and celebrating my Dad's 85 bday! Monday off to the cabin for 3-4 days of RnR!

• Like 3

I've been thinking about it, but will wait another six years before taking my NYS Teachers Retirement. I keep taking on more responsibilities. Like this past January, I started a school to work program for special education students. It has been the most rewarding thing I've done in my career.  The joy working with these kids has given me, is enormous. Their boundless optimism is truly inspiring. In a few weeks, I'll be sixty. But a young sixty! I still have more to give.

• Like 5

Interesting thread and I hadn't seen it until now, so watching a couple years of time from start to end.

Changing economy is scary to me. I am in IT and things are awesome now, but I know they can change over night. Basically everything in IT's goal is to automate a process and I do expect at some point I will be automated out (probably not before much of the rest of the economy has had that happen to them, though). 

I'm still a couple decades from retirement but I've taken a keener interest in my savings recently. I'm on track now, but not with as much room as I'd like. If I could hang on another couple of decades I'd be content getting some low stress retirement guy job like bus driver (of course, obviously, there won't be bus drivers in 20 years as that will be automated out also).

• Like 1

So here we are April 2017. 19 months after I purchased the route. I just sold it yesterday…….I'm very happy! Unfortunately I lost two stores in the beginning which hurt my bottom line. A&P went bankrupt a month after I bought. It was a difficult time but I hung in there but came to the decision that my life was being run by this business. Very limited time at the cabin and hunting season. Although my afternoons were free come 8:oo I was in bed cause I would be getting up at 3:30 am. Right now going to spend the weekend watching my kids soccer games and celebrating my Dad's 85 bday! Monday off to the cabin for 3-4 days of RnR!

A&P/Pathmark was a big customer for me too. Talk about being the architect of their own demise, they were so poorly run I can't believe they lasted as long as they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1