Liberal Thinking Interesting......

Ives Goddard, a Smithsonian Institution senior linguist and curator emeritus, asserts that the term was originally benign in meaning, and reflected positive aspects of early relations between Native Americans and whites. It emerged at a specific period in history (1769–1826) among a small group of men linked by joint activities; this provided its context. Goddard cites historical instances of Native Americans identifying as red men, or RED-SKIN, and redskins.[15] However in an interview Goddard admits that it is impossible to verify if the native words were accurately translated.[16] Johnathan Buffalo, historic preservation director of the Meskwaki Nation, also known as the Sac and Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa, said tribal members in the 1800s used “redskins” as a simple term of identifying themselves — just as they identified others as “whiteskins” or “blackskins” — without any derogatory intent.[17]

• Like 1

I don't understand why this is a liberal issue

Because all of the elected officials making a big deal out of it are Leftist Liberals.  It a diversionary tactic to distract people from other more important issues facing the country.

Simply put as the first generation son of italian born immigrants you do not get to tell me what i find offensive, I'll tell you!

Offense cannot be given, only taken.  There is nothing in any American law that says anyone has a right not to be offended.  Americans can boycott the team and protest, but they have no right to force the team to change it's franchised trademarked name, which would cost millions to do.  Maybe if they offered to pay the expenses that would be incurred it would show they aren't just looking to cause trouble to push the PC agenda forward.

Didn't the Oneida Nation (NY) start the ball rolling with this whole thing? If a large portion of the Native American population is offended by the name and want it gone, then it needs to go. If its a mixed reaction….What do you do? It seems to me that "Redskin" would be offensive to native americans, but my vote doesn't count.

• Like 2