Elk in New York

sbiondo51

I'm sure a few have been shot in NY. From what I hear the pa heard isn't doing the best so I doubt there will be many that spread out towards my until the heard gets stronger. I'm hoping they'll take some lessons from the KY heard since they seem to be doing extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the herd has heard from the regulators that migration is not allowed.

This.  PA is very strict about where the herd can roam and doesn't let them out of those areas.

Edited by Sogaard

I've been to the areas in PA where the Elk are.  Many people, especially farmers, hate them being there.  

They really do a number on crops, some live in heavily populated towns, hanging out on the lawns and have been known to rip siding off houses and do other damage, cause so much traffic from tourists in some areas residents can't get out of their driveways to go to work, hunting permits are very hard to get, hunting them requires a guide and is expensive and the guides know exactly where the Elk are so they take you to it and simply say, "Shoot!"

If you are lucky enough to be guided to a big bull, you get a nice head and rack and lots of meat, but it isn't anything like a real Elk hunt, say in Montana.

I personally would love to see elk reintroduced into NY but I fear it wouldn't be possible. Elk are naturally grazers but which can cause problems but I believe we have enough grasses grown to support them though I doubt the farmers will like that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk