9 Months Ago

Dinsdale

I didn't get anyone pregnant but did go hunting and finally a big box showed up at my door; raw trophies were delivered this week!

Always nervous if everything made it OK; but everything was there and packed great. These will stay as European mounts.....now if the tanning just goes as well.

One day of a hunt in Namibia, May 2014,

Day 5

Clear but not as cool as the previous 2 mornings which needed a warm hat and light gloves on the back of the truck; A few clouds rolled in as day went on, warmed quickly to 80* by mid day.

IMG_0072_zps42822279.jpg

After a brief discussion for my approval after dinner the previous evening; my PH and outfitter Jan, suggested we head to a relatives’ place for a good try at trophy Springbok. Previously I have never taken a great specimen, although culled quite a few, and took a decent South African animal a few years ago. Jan’s place had a few smaller groups around, but Hyena and Leopard had put a hurt on numbers and quality in the past few years. Add in some drought and he suggested a move to better area if I was interested in a trophy male.

Springbok herd with Ewes and youngsters;

IMG_3102_zpsbtsmbvcb.jpg

Early we started out and didn’t even make it to the road when a Jackal crossed our path. Quickly I uncased my rifle, loaded and set chase through some grass to find a shot. Jan whistled several times and he turned broadside at 150 yds or so and I snapped a shot off. And that quick, was the start of the days hunt.

IMG_0081_zpsa0c286a7.jpg

After calling for the skinner to pick up the body and put the head in the skinning shed, we went for an hours drive to look for Springbok on another property. Stopped by the farm house for quick introductions and pick up the resident tracker/skinner we headed out to glass for a good male. I also told Jan I would take a second animal if the opportunity and trophy quality was good. I was looking for a nice European mount and clean flatskin.

Roughly an hour later we started on foot to check two mixed herds for males and judge for decent trophies. First group contained a decent animal, he was young and lacking some mass but would be top quality in a few years. Second herd contained a unique female almost white, not albino as you could see the faint side stripe and typical eye/horn color. Striking animal, that makes me often wish one had more time on a hunt for field pictures; but it eats away time better off used to move on and look for a shooter.

Giraffe along the way;

IMG_0094_zps3ms8s45e.jpg

After moving a few times and a few miles, some bachelor groups came out of some low bush, both had the type of animals I was after. Started a stalk to close the distance and start to sort out who was a shooter and get a clear shot. We had a small screen of brush to work with and came within 200yds to set up sitting low in the sparse grass. I used the leg of a tripod to get a steady hold grasping the fore end of rifle and leg to get comfortable.  We waited for the target animal to be both clear of brush and not have another animal in the way, in front or behind.

This is my favorite part of a stalking hunt especially in open terrain. Seeing an individual animal and having the wait to get a clean shot as they work in and out of cover and other animals. Keeping track of the wind, being ready to move to a new set up if needed and staying undetected.

At one point all the animals in the area turned their attention on a patch of small trees and brush and we whispered about what to do if a Cheetah came out and possible shot selection, but nothing did present itself.

After a 40 minute wait of coming and going around a natural salt pan the target male stepped clear at 180 yds. I opted for a neck shot to keep holes in the body to a minimum and for a quick kill. And that made for 2 animals in the salt for the day.

At death and mating Springbok flare their hair and a distinct aroma of honey is in the air.

IMG_3032_zps4islaarc.jpg

After pictures and loading we set out after the second all male group that had by this time moved off. Again we played that fun game of wind/terrain/sparse cover to get set up for a shot. Found a male in the group with asymmetrical horns with one tip chipped off. And just as the first time, luck would have it a clean broadside shot presented itself, and the second Springbok was down. A little closer this time, maybe 150yds, and a quartering away shot made a clean kill with little meat damage (makes for good relationships with landowners not making a mess of smaller game, here they get to keep the carcass less a loin our dinner).

IMG_0086_zpsexmfsaeh.jpg

Jan talked business and I helped the lead skinner with the flat skin animal as the farm hands took care of the other. Nothing goes to waste here, right down to the internals and bones. Salted the skin and collected the heads and we are headed “home” by mid afternoon.

IMG_0093_zpsa068d224.jpg

One good days hunt.

IMG_0097_zps2d83b389.jpg

About 9 months later a big box showed up at my door, and getting to hold trophies again that were taken months ago brings back memories.

IMG_0178_zpsjcefaywd.jpg

IMG_0180_zpsxgublb8m.jpg

• Like 9

WAAAY cool, Dinsdale...

I like the picture of the giraffe...

I assume that if you are hunting them, ELEVATION would not be a real big issue..<<smile>>..

Glad to hear the remembrances made it back in good shape..

Is springbok good ? How would you compare it to whitetail venison ?

• Like 1