Colorado Elk hunt

Fletch

A group of us are in the beginning stages of planning for a Colorado Elk hunt during rifle season.

We are looking at a semi guided hunt and maybe even mule deer.

Does anyone have any recommendations on outfitters, areas. We are of course doing a lot of research but I am always looking for actual people for references.

Thanks

The units that I have personal experience with in Colorado all require multiple preference points to draw.

However I have used a booking agent a couple of times for hunts in other states and have been very pleased with the results.

Don't be afraid to check with booking agents..They make thier money from outfitters by bringing them business..Usually it costs no more to book through an agent than to book directly with an outfitter.

PM me if you are interested. If you tell these guys what you want to hunt and how much you are able to spend, they may be able to come up with a good hunt for you. Keep in mind that hunts is areas with high trophy potential are always more expensive. However there may be hunts available in areas where chances are good at killing a decent representative animal at reasonable prices.

My FIL hunts in Craig Colorado all on BLM land,no guide. His buddy has been going for over 25 years so I guess he is the guide. They apply for the mule deer license lottery and can buy the elk tags over the counter out there if they don't get drawn.

I've never hunted in Colorado, but have been on many guided hunts. Ask tons of questions before booking and never pay full price. You can always negotiate on $ or get an extra day thrown in or get free trans to and from airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unit 25 and 26 is were I hunted last year and will be going back this year. If your planning to hunt for deer as well as elk you have to have your application with money submitted by April 7th. But before you fill out any application for any tag you must pay $10 for your habitat stamp or your application will be rejected.

If you only plan on hunting for a bull there over the counter and you can get them anytime you don't need to apply for one. However they went up again this year I believe to $624.

If you are going as a group I would recommend everybody apply for different tags because you will see slot of different animals and nobody will have a tag for one. Like when the big black bear came out of its den 10 yards in front of me and we had a stare off while pee ran down my leg. Yes I will be applying for a bear tag this year....

• Like 1

The areas we were looking at are over the counter Elk tags and draw for Mule deer. We, well some have already, applied for preference points this year for 2015. So when they/we go in 2016 we should get some Muley tags.

My cousin and his group, I think 5 total, are doing CO. Myself my brother and a friend are doing a hunt just not sure if CO is for us. Now we are throwing around Canada Moose and fishing package! With another group.

What we do know is we are doing a big hunt in 2016 and want to do a big game hunt either moose, caribou, elk, stag.... something bigger than deer.

If anyone has some good ideas please shout out. We are not willing to do silly money hunts and think with a group of us somewhere in the 2 to 4 grand a piece range would make us all happy. Again we are not looking for a deluxe lodge guide holding hand experience. But some good opportunity at fair chase game and a bit of guidance. We would most likely look for options to drive to, we would be driving to CO if we go there, it is just as cheap as flying with all the baggage and hopefully meat home.

Here are two ideas that are somewhat above the price range you quoted, but not a whole lot.

A caribou hunt with Jack Hume Adventures in northern Quebec. It is a true wildnerness adventure and presently the limit is till two caribou per person. Hume runs an excellent, well organized operation and does his best to get his hunters into animals. Most camps have excellent fishing, to boot. Most hunters tag out on thier two caribou, and many of them are trophy bulls.

# 2.. A moose hunt with any number of outfitters in Newfoundland.

Many outfitters in this province average over 90% success rates.

The moose are not as huge as Alaska moose, but ANY moose is a GREAT BIG CRITTER .. The newfies are great people and the guides and camp personnel are a hoot..

As I said, the price of either of these hunts is somewhat above what you quoted, but success rates are probably 90% and the wilderness experience is worth a lot also.

Just something more for you to consider.

A Wyoming Mule Deer/Antelope combo is in your price range

Biz good idea. But after some searching I do not see anything below a $5 to $6 grand price tag and possible draw only areas?

Any leads?

Thanks,

Here are two ideas that are somewhat above the price range you quoted, but not a whole lot.

A caribou hunt with Jack Hume Adventures in northern Quebec. It is a true wildnerness adventure and presently the limit is till two caribou per person. Hume runs an excellent, well organized operation and does his best to get his hunters into animals. Most camps have excellent fishing, to boot. Most hunters tag out on thier two caribou, and many of them are trophy bulls.

# 2.. A moose hunt with any number of outfitters in Newfoundland.

Many outfitters in this province average over 90% success rates.

The moose are not as huge as Alaska moose, but ANY moose is a GREAT BIG CRITTER .. The newfies are great people and the guides and camp personnel are a hoot..

As I said, the price of either of these hunts is somewhat above what you quoted, but success rates are probably 90% and the wilderness experience is worth a lot also.

Just something more for you to consider.

I should of done a Jack Hume hunt years ago when they were under 3 grand!! Now it is 7 grand that is a bit outa my budget.

• Like 1

The last Hume hunt I did cost me about 5K, about 5 years ago..

They have gone up, as has everything else. There was a time when caribou hunts were a bargain..No more.. Too bad...They are fun to hunt, make a gorgeous mount and are my favorite wild game meat...

• Like 1

Cargair out of LG4 in Quebec does a self guided Bou' hunt for $3500. Drive and then short flight.

Thats a long drive, roughly 1000 mi from Montreal, I've been as far as LG2 fishing.

Normann Ouellette is owner; used them for fishing and float planes and had good service from them, top quality pilots. But haven't talked to them about how the success rates are last few years as numbers have been down in Leaf River herd.

As others did some Caribou all the way up in Quebec flying out of Kuujjuaq both West and North. Awesome country and good hunting and fishing; but its not cheap.

It could have been, Lawdwaz...

In 1998, we paid around $2800 for a hunt with Silak Adventures, but as I remember, we got a discount for filling two camps (13 hunters total) with our party..I think the regular price was $3300..

There were LOTS of Quebec caribou outfitters at that time, some good and some not so good..Most of them have gone belly up..

Biz good idea. But after some searching I do not see anything below a $5 to $6 grand price tag and possible draw only areas?

Any leads?

Thanks,

I hunted with Lee Iberlin in October, it was under $4k. Google Iberlin ranch outfitters. He was a young guy whose family has 70k acres. He's fairly new, so his prices will be rising in years to come