Decent inexpensive rifle

If anyone is in the market….I was in GM and they have Remington 783 rifles on sale for $269.99 with a $40.00 rebate. I have heard mixed reviews on that rifle but in the end they seem pretty reliable and accurate and $229.99 isn't too bad. 

Edited by ants

I have owned and shot many Remingtons over the years and I have always considered them a quality firearm, but the newest one I own, a M700 Mountain Rifle, was purchased about 1990.

I have heard that Remington has had some QC issues in recent years, but I have no personal experiences with relatively recent guns.

NRA magazine " American Rifleman" published an article a few months ago about current, relatively low priced "entry level" rifles. They reviewed offerings from Ruger and Savage and one other ( perhaps a TC or a Marlin) and gave pretty good reviews for the rifles as far as being reliable, reasonably accurate hunting rifles for the money..I can't remember if the Remington 783 was reviewed or not..

Yeah.. I have two 700's circa 1977 and a 1986-88 Both excellent rifles. If I were to buy a new one I would go for a higher end, wood stocked ADL or BDL but I've read some favorable reviews on the 783. Not great but very good. For someone on a real tight budget this thing might be the way to go. 

I second the Savage, I have a model 110 that is a great shooter since 1988.  Only real issues I ever had was the front sight braking off.  After the 3rd time I just left it off due to using a scope.  Bolt screw loosens after about 50 shots, easily tightened with a quarter.  Great low price gun and accurate.

• Like 1

The 783 is a Savage Barrel on a Remington. If you want a good gun that is accurate, Buy a Savage Bolt action. I have both the 783 and Savage in same caliber, the 783 is better than the other Remington's that's because its a Savage LOL.   

LOL!! Right down to the rounded receiver and barrel nut…..

I second the Savage, I have a model 110 that is a great shooter since 1988. Only real issues I ever had was the front sight braking off. After the 3rd time I just left it off due to using a scope. Bolt screw loosens after about 50 shots, easily tightened with a quarter. Great low price gun and accurate.[/quote

My savage axis is inexpensive and very accurate after I changed the trigger spring. I like it more every time I shoot it! Im getting three quarter inch groups at a hundred and fifty yards. Not too bad for a rifle under three hundred bucks!