What type of rifle rounds ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Remington Core Lokt.  I also use Remington (.22 36 grain HP) for my rimfires.  For shotgun I use Winchester Super-X Rifled Slugs and Winchester Xpert Steel Shot #6.  In other words.  I go with the inexpensive options.  I'm cheap like that.

Been using Sierra bullets over my handloads with CCI primers.  Mostly because that's what the dealers tended to carry in the Capital District back when I started reloading & still do.  They work fine, with accuracy and performance, so I see no need to experiment with other brands.  Powders have been IMR and Hodgdon.

"I have tried many "premium" rounds that are more expensive with no difference except a lighter wallet."  I agree with Armcomm on this, been an awful lot of deer killed before "premium" bullets existed.  People tend to forget that they were initially designed for the bigger critters in Africa that tended to stomp or shred you if things didn't go right. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Hornady Leverevolution 325g FTX in my 45-70 and it loves it. 3 shot,1 hole groups at 100yrds. No complaints here. As far as what it will do on a poor little brown deer....I may be sorry,dependant upon where the shot is placed ofcourse.

All my other rifles shoot Core lokts except for my 244rem that I loaded with Sierra gamekings.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those using Hornady Leverevolution, ever have any problems with them loading/cycling in the chamber?

I was thinking of picking up a box for the .444, and mentioned it to a friend. He tried them & jammed his 35 Rem so bad, he couldn't clear it, & had to take it in to a smith to free the action.. Glad I wasn't along on that trip

I had the same problem with my .35 Marlin using the leverevolution rounds. I contacted Marlin and they told me to send them the rifle and they fixed it for free. Now my .35 loves those rounds. No feed jamming, accurate, and deadly. Tell your buddy to call Marlin.

• 3 weeks later...