Seeing more bucks on the Trail Cam

fasteddie

They have been logging almost a mile south of my friends and a couple houses were built back off the road about 1/2 mile south of the property . I am wondering if this is causing the deer to travel my friends property more frequently . Any thought on this ?

Yes I would guess that is a correct assumption, if new home owners are roaming about and have dogs as well , deer. Will shift, so will turkeys, as much as every one says they get use to it, (noise,ect) it take a long while and some will just move unless the habitat is fantastic there

Don't forget shifts are slowly taking place. Even though still in velvet, bucks are getting a touch more sketchy each day. This time period typically marks when I start to lose some bucks and gain some bucks, or start to have frequency changes in their core or peripheral ranges. Not all bucks will shift, but invariably some do. Me and Moog apparently have had a pair of two year olds (ok, maybe one of them is a three) no longer show up on our cell cams for about two weeks now, when they were making pretty regular appearances together. Also picked up a new buck on another cell cam that hadn't been there for a few weeks prior to that cam being set.

So many variables, you probably won't be able to really account for why. Just figure out how to take advantage of it now.

• Like 1

I have to say things are not looking good here except for coyotes ..which made Mr B mad because they were howling so loud last night they woke him twice...lots of pictures of yotes...few adult doe and no buck except those 4pts...and just a few fawns and at 11am-1pm. We've had bad coyote years before....but nothing like this year...they are more prevalent on the cams than the raccoon...

I have to say things are not looking good here except for coyotes ..which made Mr B mad because they were howling so loud last night they woke him twice...lots of pictures of yotes...few adult doe and no buck except those 4pts...and just a few fawns and at 11am-1pm. We've had bad coyote years before....but nothing like this year...they are more prevalent on the cams than the raccoon...

Time to get a trapper in there, I trap but can't run a line except when I'm on vacation in nov, so I have a guy come in and hit the coon hard end of Oct and into nov,I show him where my traps are and he runs my line with his, we split the harvest from my line when I'm back to work.

Been averaging less coon every year, but still get dozens in a few weeks but not like he did when he started 14 in 15 traps 1st year.it's really helped with grouse nesting and the few fox taken out in my lines help as well, I don't have many coyote here but that's another story

• Like 1

Tough call fasteddie, but it know doubt has some type of an influence. Some history of the property would be nice, to know and that can even change, some years.

Grow, you like to make coyote coats, handbags, and rugs? Know you don.t mount antlers, but maybe a nice full size coyote mount with a rabbit in mouth would suit your living quarters.

I have no use for them what so ever...Hell they aren't even lowering the population of feral cats here ..I don't get it..more of them yet more cats...lots of fox and still these damn raccoons...Our son had best realize he needs more $$$ flow with the new baby and stay at home Mom he now has...and gets his trapping permits this year..I will say this...I see them in the day time like I am now..and they will be shot!