One of my days this year!!!

Bleitten04

Now see, a day on the ice where I am getting that kind of action would make me a whole lot more enthusiastic about ice fishing. In fact, this past summer I ran into a guy that I used to work with who said he would be giving me a call some time this winter to do a little perch fishing through the ice. Who knows maybe I'll become a fan of ice fishing. If we run into the kind of luck that you obviously did, I'll guarantee I'll be making it a regular activity.....lol.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Perch are yummy.  We'll go perch fishing up on the St. Lawrence during the summer to make "fish nuggets".

Got any instructions and/or recipes for making those "fish nuggets"?

Really, it's just perch fillets, but we call them nuggets because they're not terribly big.  Just fillet, skin, and debone as you normally would, then batter/bread them up and fry them.  My wife's cousin found some breading somewhere up around Clayton/Alex Bay that's seasoned really nicely.  Barring that, maybe try some panko bread crumbs with a little old bay.

The last time caught perch was when I was 6.

I never ate any fish I caught in fresh water.... Haven't fished fresh water since I moved th fl......

It sounds like fun.... Catching them....  What do they taste like?

Perch is a VERY mild fish, but as with any fish, the taste depends greatly on the water they come out of.  Up in the 1000 Islands, the water's really clean, so they taste quite "clean" and good.  I wouldn't eat it if it wasn't mild.

The bass in my profile picture was caught up in the Adirondacks (drawing a blank on which lake right now), and it tasted horribly dirty.  Conversely, my wife caught a couple nice bass up in the islands, and I fried them up and they tasted GREAT.  Same type of fish, different water, different taste.

Perch are yummy.  We'll go perch fishing up on the St. Lawrence during the summer to make "fish nuggets".

where abouts in the st lawrence may I ask.  Just curious cuz the st lawrence is in my back yard.

We're between Clayton and the TI bridge.  We have a place at Roosevelt Cottages and Trailer Park.