Browning Strike Force HD

So i just picked up one of these Browning Strike Force HD cameras @ Runnings in canandaigua for $129... I set it up and got it in the woods last night, so far with just setting up. I really like this cam. Lots of features, Pretty straight forward. I Took a few test pics before setting it out and it seems good to go. We will find out.  

Anyone else run these cams?

i just pulled cards from two for the first time. All of the night pics are black almost as if no flash? i have the newest update. i thinking it may because i had them up about ten 10ft and angled down which is about only about 20ft from trail/ expect travel route. i have done this with other cams and never had a problem. any ideas?  on a positive the day time photos are some of the best ive evr had.

If you have all black pics, the array is not firing.

First thing I would do is put in fresh, new batteries. You may have had a few duds in the batteries you put in. Moultrie has a history of cams not firing their IRs with bunk batteries for some reason, but working in daytime. A lot of the engineers at Moultrie left for Promethius group, which owns the Browning trail cam company. This operation may have carried over.

If you put in new, tested batteries, and you still get dark night pics after testing in closet or similar dark environment, then the array might not be working at all due to a variety of potential causes, in which case you'd need to swap it out w/Browning.

First thing I would do is put in fresh, new batteries. You may have had a few duds in the batteries you put in. Moultrie has a history of cams not firing their IRs with bunk batteries for some reason, but working in daytime. A lot of the engineers at Moultrie left for Promethius group, which owns the Browning trail cam company. This operation may have carried over.

If you put in new, tested batteries, and you still get dark night pics after testing in closet or similar dark environment, then the array might not be working at all due to a variety of potential causes, in which case you'd need to swap it out w/Browning.

brand new batteries, band new cam, updated firm ware and happening on both will test tonight when home.

i purchased these from trailcampro.com bc of two year warranty as a precaution given my history of cams working well when new but conveniently dying right after warranty ending. anyhow i just got off the phone with them and they didnt have any idea but are sending out two new cams with return shipping. was nice to deal with a company that cares about customer service/happiness.

Not saying impossible, but I find it improbable that both cams have that issue.

There is also a difference between new batteries and tested batteries, which to me sounds even more like a culprit now.

Edited by phade

i purchased these from trailcampro.com bc of two year warranty as a precaution given my history of cams working well when new but conveniently dying right after warranty ending. anyhow i just got off the phone with them and they didnt have any idea but are sending out two new cams with return shipping. was nice to deal with a company that cares about customer service/happiness.

Gotta love companies that "objectively" test cameras, but then sell them, too, right?

• Like 2

well i was able to retieve one of the cams . i didnt change anything about set-up just swapped card and no problem with any of the night time pics. i then tested in basement and it had no problems. Really confused now. any ideas?

Wouldn't worry about it, you've already engaged the warranty swap out.............................

Make sure the cam has the latest firmware. Good cam, crummy price.

I downloaded the firmware and will be updating the cam this weekend.. Just curious as to what i should expect to happen differently or what not after its been updated.. never updated any camera before. Camera performs flawless so far 

I have two of these with the same issue.  At first, one of them worked at night while the other one didn't.  Now they both are showing black night time pics.  Using lithium batteries and the battery indicator on the camera shows "100%".  You think that this the array issue and not the batteries?

I appreciate all of your posts both on here and at the hunting beast, by the way.

The more I look at the problem, I think it's not the array, but the connections with the batteries in the tray to the cam. It's not been widely talked about on the cam forums but I have a 7FHD where when I first loaded the cam with new tested batteries, the cam wouldn't turn on. Sent me for a loop, but then I figured that it needed a very "firm" pushing in of the tray to make contact. Then it fired right up. Heard of one other person who had this issue, too, on this forum.

Suspect that the contacts between the tray and the cam are a weak point for some reason. Poor contact probably translates to these issues, because they've been intermittent from what I see. Array firing needs more power, and I believe these cams are designed similar to Moultries where the day pics might work but the night pics might be black because there wasn't enough juice to fire the array.

The power meter in most cams, save for Reconyx, is designed for alkaline use and/or rechargeables. Lithiums run on different voltage and draw down on power differently than alkalines. Your lithiums will keep saying 100% or very very close to it in that cam, and then it'll be dead all of a sudden. Alkalines degrade consistently downward and your cam meter will show you that.

My advice is to only use the lithiums if you are running heavy video loads or in the dead of winter. If just pics, move to Lowe's Utilitech alkalines. Cheaper...

Remove batteries from tray, place new alkalines in there and give the tray a good firm push into the cam. Test the cam out in a closet to see if the arrays fire.

The more I look at the problem, I think it's not the array, but the connections with the batteries in the tray to the cam. It's not been widely talked about on the cam forums but I have a 7FHD where when I first loaded the cam with new tested batteries, the cam wouldn't turn on. Sent me for a loop, but then I figured that it needed a very "firm" pushing in of the tray to make contact. Then it fired right up. Heard of one other person who had this issue, too, on this forum.

Suspect that the contacts between the tray and the cam are a weak point for some reason. Poor contact probably translates to these issues, because they've been intermittent from what I see. Array firing needs more power, and I believe these cams are designed similar to Moultries where the day pics might work but the night pics might be black because there wasn't enough juice to fire the array.

The power meter in most cams, save for Reconyx, is designed for alkaline use and/or rechargeables. Lithiums run on different voltage and draw down on power differently than alkalines. Your lithiums will keep saying 100% or very very close to it in that cam, and then it'll be dead all of a sudden. Alkalines degrade consistently downward and your cam meter will show you that.

My advice is to only use the lithiums if you are running heavy video loads or in the dead of winter. If just pics, move to Lowe's Utilitech alkalines. Cheaper...

Remove batteries from tray, place new alkalines in there and give the tray a good firm push into the cam. Test the cam out in a closet to see if the arrays fire.

Thanks, Phade.  I really appreciate your advice and willingness to help people (not only on this issue, but on most things you comment on).  You are a great asset to everyone who uses this forum.

• Like 2

i was able to retieve the 2nd cam i had out that had taken black images and this one magically fixed itself as well. inspite of this issue i really love the quality of the pics from this cam. it is also way better it detecting deer from further and almost no blurry pics. and the images are way better then my moultrie 880.

Thanks, Phade.  I really appreciate your advice and willingness to help people (not only on this issue, but on most things you comment on).  You are a great asset to everyone who uses this forum.

Thank you for the kind words. Hopefully the cam ends up working well.