How exactly to wax string?

Core

99.928% of the posts online about this topic are just debating specifics of which wax to use. I've also watched some vids on youtube, but they feel incomplete, or even dangerous (one recommends drawing your bow fully and having somebody else wax the hard to get to bits of the string. This may be acceptable, but is also risky).

So what is the complete method to wax a compound bow string? Waxing regularly, and rubbing it in aggressively seems a given, but do you wax the entire string, including over the cams? How do you get under the string at them (without drawing the bow)? What about lubing the cams?

My PSE bow is sparse on this and says: 

Apply a light coat of high quality bowstring wax to your string and cable each time you shoot your bow. It is especially important NOT to wax the area of the string that wraps around the idler wheel. This area of the string should be treated with a cam lubricant. This will help reduce wear on your string and cables.

So I guess Scorpion cam lubricant + a regular wax for the rest of it? Those instructions are quite clear, but it looks like nobody else "online" seems to follow them.

Don't wax over the serving, just string and work it in lightly.  I don't use cam lubricant.  I have lubed rockers with Vaseline, but you need to pull the bow apart to do this.  And, for what its worth, you don't need to wax every time you shoot your bow.  Every couple of months is plenty. 

Only was exposed string, I have no expose string on my cams, it's all serving over top of the string. Bow does not need to be drawn. I've never put cam lubricant on my cams, I have the bow shop do that when I change strings and clean it.

Oh, I see what you're saying--I just checked my bow. It's a single cam, and the serving is over the string that contacts the single cam, but the idler pulley has totally exposed string, and that string just rolls over it.

I put it on from a bees wax cake then run a piece of deer skin up and down it real fast to heat it up and melt it into the string.

I like that deer skin trick. Helps you get it nice and melted into the string without burning the ever loving sheets out of your finger tips

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by The Jerkman