Boiling today

stoneam2006

For me it's about doing what I love...and my boy loves it too....trapping is something I did with my dad and now do wit my son...prices could be 0 and I'd still trap. Maybe not a 100 mile line but all my steel will be in the ground....glad I don't have as much as some lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Why do u have to boil your traps? For scent or because of law/regulation? I know Canada with snaring, they rub pine needles in their hands before setting snares for wolf, Lynx, etc. trap line guys make big bucks. People pay $5k+ to tag along for a week up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea biz....Boiling for me is a 3 part process

1...boil in a lye solution to clean and remove all of last year's wax and dye

2...boil with the dye to color preferred

3...wax...keeps smell at bay and from rusting solid

I use rubber gloves that are designated for trapping only to set and handle traps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Why do u have to boil your traps? For scent or because of law/regulation? I know Canada with snaring, they rub pine needles in their hands before setting snares for wolf, Lynx, etc. trap line guys make big bucks. People pay $5k+ to tag along for a week up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to ask the same thing…..Someone was talking about dying a couple weeks ago, and I thought they meant dying clothes...

When traps are manufactured and shipped to stores and warehouses, they apply a thin oily protective coating so they don't rust before they are sold. So the first boiling is to clean and remove that.

Then there is the color of untreated steel. It's can attract attention when you don't want it to. In some of the water sets, the traps are set under the surface of the water and not covered. So, shiny steel would be obvious to some of the critters. They need a stain to make them un-reflective. Eventually the traps will take on a thin layer of rust, and will only need dyeing to give them a darker color that blends in with the set better. The body-grip traps are set, fully exposed, so bright shiny traps would prevent animals from walking through them and setting them off.

And then there is the scent of steel and the human odors of handling and storage that has to be removed and covered with the scent of more natural elements.

Waxing is the technique used to create a thin scent barrier and serve as a good preventative against rust. Wax also serves as a bit of a lubricant to keeps the traps freely moving.

• Like 3