Opinions on this xbow

nybuckboy

I got injured when I came off my horse last Monday 10/12/15. He spooked at something and I took a tumble. 2 fractured ribs, punctured lung and slight fracture and sprain of wrist, all on the left side. Much pain. I doubt I will be healed enough to pull the compound bow back. Considering a xbow so I don't lose the whole season.

http://www.gandermountain.com/search/crossbow%20red%20dot

I don't know much about the $499 Barnett w/red dot package, it that's the one you are considering.  The Penetrator model it the first one listed and perhaps others can give you specifics on that models performance.

I will say this, that if your ribs are shot, you should consider adding a crank or other drawing assist device to what ever you buy.

Cocking a crossbow requires a fairly healthy straight up pull from around your knees toward your chest and equally with both hands.  And your cocking a 100lb+ system.

That's going to hurt in your ribs anytime soon.

I do hope you get back on, been thrown a couple of time too.  Sometimes having a good seat just isn't enough when they are caused to squat and whirl.  Nothing ya can do except heal and get back on.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jaeger

Been missing out on Bow hunting the last 3 years, the first 2 were due ti wrist and scolder injuries, I could not draw any of my bow's. Too much pain. Bought a Xbow thought it would be easier , but it was not.Wound up buying a hand cranking device that helped a lot

Get well..

I also had a physical reason for seeking out the crossbow. Suffered TBI, recovered everything but my ability to stand and walk unassisted. So I purchased a crossbow, cranking devise, and a cauldwell field pod. Now I continue to enjoy my time in the woods from a ground blind. Now if we could get the powers to be in NY to consider it a bow rather than muzzleloader. With compounds putting out arrows in the 350 fps and top echelon of crossbows a little over 400.

But now you understand how this country can be discombobulated, common sense vs deep pockets. MIght as well throw in special interest groups.

• Like 1

I havn't felt the need or desire for a crossbow . I have only fired 3 shots from one just to try it out . Pretty simple device . I'm only 74 and don't have physical disabilities that would make me want to use one . Plus , the way things are going , if I bought one , they would immediately incorporate ML's into archery season and it would be a waste of money . 

If someone wants to use a crossbow , I could care less . Whatever floats your boat !