public lands

ryan

I realized that when it comes to hunting on public lands when u locate that perfect spot to set up on opening day go in the opposite direction cause everyone else will also be in that area and your chances have now gone down the drain... my idea is to head in the direction where there is the least deer activity and hope the other hunters push them my way

• Like 1

after going public land hunting & hearing the shots we wondered if there was any ammo to be found on a store shelf during gun season

never been so scared in my life

Then to see the hunting group that came in late putting a drive on through everyone the Drivers screaming & shooting in the air was enough for me

• Like 1

after going public land hunting & hearing the shots we wondered if there was any ammo to be found on a store shelf during gun season

never been so scared in my life

Then to see the hunting group that came in late putting a drive on through everyone the Drivers screaming & shooting in the air was enough for me

lol

This thread is hilarious.

These gun hunters sound like animals.

I've been on public land so far for bow 9-10 times and have run into another hunter once. I see 1-2 cars parked in my vicinity at a time, though as yet none have been parked where I was (meaning no hunters actually crossing paths).

The more I read about gun season the more I picture scores of people running around with orange vests shooting at anything that moves.

• Like 2

lol

This thread is hilarious.

These gun hunters sound like animals.

I've been on public land so far for bow 9-10 times and have run into another hunter once. I see 1-2 cars parked in my vicinity at a time, though as yet none have been parked where I was (meaning no hunters actually crossing paths).

The more I read about gun season the more I picture scores of people running around with orange vests shooting at anything that moves.

Yup that was pretty much how it was or at least what it felt like to me during the week was not as bad but weekends were horrible. the last year we went for gun season we stayed out of the woods & hit the Vineyards & breweries instead

• Like 2

the experience I had on opening day last year will stay with me forever I cant even count how many times I checked myself to see if I was shot.. gun shots way to close for my comfort I don't kno if these guys were shooting at anything that moves in the woods and I was wearing my hunters orange scary

• Like 1

the experience I had on opening day last year will stay with me forever I cant even count how many times I checked myself to see if I was shot.. gun shots way to close for my comfort I don't kno if these guys were shooting at anything that moves in the woods and I was wearing my hunters orange scary

It is funny because you would expect that here in NH

if land is not posted it is legal to hunt.

but we do have a lot of large traks of land here not posted

• Like 1

I have given up on opening week of gun season on public land. I must say that after opening week things quiet down and you can have a nice hunt with little to no company in the woods.

Edited by JimR
  • Like 1

I have given up on opening week of gun season on public land. I must say that after opening week things quiet down and you can have a nice hunt with little to no company in the woods.

Yep I think I will wait out opening week ..

Idk what public land you all hunt but I hunt a lot and I mean alot of it opening day thanksgiving black Friday all included and never had anything but positive impressions on the people and environment there...wierd

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

where are you hunting ?

I just hunt steep hills, swamps, thick brush, etc.  I hunt state land every year, and realized early, if its an easy walk - lots of other hunters, hard walk, usually alone, and see lots of deer

only exception I've had, one wide open hill top on opening day, 200 yds from where I park, (could see the windshield when the sun hit it) watched ~ 15 hunters walk in past me by dawn, and had 20 deer pass me by 9 am opening day.  I had that area to myself, shot 2, and had a nice short drag.  That does tend to be the exception to the rule though. 

• Like 2

public land for bow season is pretty similar to hunting your own private land. the exception i've found is that the densities are lower and the deer are still more skitish.

gun seems to die down quite a bit after opening weekend and thanksgiving so don't give up. sometimes closer to the road is actually better because the deer circle back after being pushed.

of course deep is good, but it's still not a substitute for good terrain. you still want to focus on funnels and pinch points, transitions and areas you can access without bumping all the deer to the pumpkin sitting around the corner. So I'd say, it's not necessarily distance but ease of access. that's where you want to be.

had to hike down a big ass ravine to get to a public land spot that was a funnel due to a creek and the ravines. it also was a transition zone between bedding and hard woods. it was a mini-nightmare to get him out, but it was only a 5 minute hike in. but to a lazy guy, you wouldn't want to hike back up.

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

2 schools of thought with time of day. some get in super early so the tardy hunters will push the deer. others will head in late, and possible push deer but stay later as the early guys leave and bump.

I usually leave around 10 but got in late one day and at 10:45 came this doe. she was clearly bumped and on a tear but stopped long enough for me to drop her. (dont laugh at the size of our mississippi deer :) )

013_zps37ef7963.jpg

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

public land for bow season is pretty similar to hunting your own private land. the exception i've found is that the densities are lower and the deer are still more skitish.

gun seems to die down quite a bit after opening weekend and thanksgiving so don't give up. sometimes closer to the road is actually better because the deer circle back after being pushed.

of course deep is good, but it's still not a substitute for good terrain. you still want to focus on funnels and pinch points, transitions and areas you can access without bumping all the deer to the pumpkin sitting around the corner. So I'd say, it's not necessarily distance but ease of access. that's where you want to be.

had to hike down a big ass ravine to get to a public land spot that was a funnel due to a creek and the ravines. it also was a transition zone between bedding and hard woods. it was a mini-nightmare to get him out, but it was only a 5 minute hike in. but to a lazy guy, you wouldn't want to hike back up.

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

2 schools of thought with time of day. some get in super early so the tardy hunters will push the deer. others will head in late, and possible push deer but stay later as the early guys leave and bump.

I usually leave around 10 but got in late one day and at 10:45 came this doe. she was clearly bumped and on a tear but stopped long enough for me to drop her. (dont laugh at the size of our mississippi deer :) )

013_zps37ef7963.jpg

Is that second pic of a fawn that just lost its spots?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk