opening day of Long Island shotgun

longislandhunter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That and DEC claims that non-hunters use the lands for hiking, fishing and bike riding.

+1

The guy running the East Hampton check station gave a little talk before turning us loose on opening morning.

Said we were 'Guests' on the property, it was imperative we respect the privilege we have of using the lands, and if we wanted to ensure continued use, use common sense if we encounter non hunters in the woods.. Also mentioned that they were working on trying to get the east end properties opened up for a Spring LI turkey hunt, which would be sweet..

ive hunted both of those spots before. allthough i didnt see too many deer in there i did see a lot of sign so i know they are there.  if you go in from spot 41 make sure you go in closer to the field. its brushy in there and it makes for some great still hunting.  Good Luck!!!

John

These are spots off Hot Water Street and CR 51.  I believe #41 is off CR 51 and easy to get to.  42 is on a terrible dirt road with huge pot holes that fill with water when it rains or snows.  Make sure you have a good 4wd truck as i am sure there is still snow and ice in there.  Anyway these spots are relatively thin Hardwoods surrounding 2 huge hayfields that but up to CR51.  During Bow season I found some huge rubs along the treeline bordering the field and many signs that they are in that field at night.  The issue with Otis is that you get there so late and have to leave so early.  I would set up on the edge of that field (75 yards in) and hope to catch some bucks cruising the treelines.  Other then that I like to post up during shotgun.  There are a lot of spots in the area and other hunters will push those deer.  Good Luck.

got out early this morning and at 7:15,Had what I thought was a doe walk up to within 20 yards of me.It was actually a buck that had shed already.Oh well,you can't eat the antlers anyway.

that was a buck?? looks like a yearling...

Thanks for posting! Now I dont feel so bad when I got stuck..

Swerved to avoid a deer, went off road, and wound up sitting on a bed of ice, with the tires hangin..

If Unc's truck is a newer model, check the recyclers. Swapping a whole rear axel is a relatively easy thing to do..

Went out today and boy was it awful.  I have to say the standby system is really horrible.  I brought my dad for first time and he was so turned off by the whole process.  Its a shame they make it so difficult. Anyway hunted spot 21 in Otis Pike over on Mill road off Edwards Avenue and I walked that place from top to bottom and found one set o tracks.  GRRRR!!!  I think thats it for me this year.  First year without a deer although i did pass a few does.  Who knows maybe i will get out once more.  Time to start shed hunting!!!!