Posting my property

DVRBowHunter

We use a Garmin and buy the micro sd card that has all property boundaries and land owners on it.  This will get you within a couple of feet, if that's not close enough then you have other issues...

The Garmin will get you close to the line in the SD card, sure, but those lines are approximate. Even the tax maps counties put up online are approximate. The difference on the ground can be a hundred feet or more, even the shape of the parcel can be different. My neighbor uses those maps loaded in his GPS to justify his hunting on my property, and it drives me nuts. Walking twenty feet over the line is fine, but planting a blind fifty into my lot is not. Only a professional survey will get it right.

I'm interested to see what other people have payed. I was told around 4 thousand bucks to survey 50 acres. For the most part it's a rectangle size piece of land.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My dad was quoted from $8k - $14k for the The 20 acres my Dad is in the process of buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Garmin will get you close to the line in the SD card, sure, but those lines are approximate. Even the tax maps counties put up online are approximate. The difference on the ground can be a hundred feet or more, even the shape of the parcel can be different. My neighbor uses those maps loaded in his GPS to justify his hunting on my property, and it drives me nuts. Walking twenty feet over the line is fine, but planting a blind fifty into my lot is not. Only a professional survey will get it right.

This is good advice.

As part of my business I often am looking at both a land survey and a county GIS map for the same property.  It is common(!) for the two maps to show different shapes for the same property.  Sure, sometimes the difference is small.  But often the difference is significant.

When there is a difference, the survey map shows the correct shape and the GIS map is wrong.

If you have a chip with parcel lines, guess what?  That is just a copy of county GIS data.

Edited by Jelf

I don't buy that they are 100' off, 10' I can buy.  I work in the engineering field and deal with civil engineers and surveyors all the time and we don't run into issues where they are off anything significant.  I know I have check all of my properties (multiple properties, in multiple townships) with the surveyed lines and they are within a few feet.  But hey, I guess it could happen.  I just think it's pretty crazy to pay 8-14K to have a piece of land you already own surveyed to put up signs that half the bozos out there will walk right by anyway, and when they do and are caught they get a $25 trespassing ticket...  But hey, that's just me.

• Like 1

Maybe get the adjoining hunting club to help out so that you are both absolutely on the same page as to where the boundries are... maybe share the surveying cost.. worth a shot before going at it alone. Might be a better idea than just surprising them with a gangland of new posted signs. Just a thought.

That's some good advice. 

I had my 54 acres surveyed 8 years ago for $350 bucks (Steuben county). They did a great job. The recent survey bill has not come in yet. I'm guessing it will be about the same. Grow I'm thinking it wasn't surveyed before. Property was handed down in the family. Now that you are bringing this up I'm thinking it may be less than 10 acres? I'm shooting my lawyer an email now to check this out. 

Biz that price seems completely crazy

Going rate for a survey in the fingerlakes is $40/acre. I just had my 110 acre piece surveyed for a littel under four thousand. My friend had his 99 acre piece done for $3500. Both pieces have lots of topograhy so were not easy surveys

In some areas, the actual surveyed boundries were a good 50ft different from where they appeared to be on tax maps etc

Biz that price seems completely crazy

Going rate for a survey in the fingerlakes is $40/acre. I just had my 110 acre piece surveyed for a littel under four thousand. My friend had his 99 acre piece done for $3500. Both pieces have lots of topograhy so were not easy surveys

In some areas, the actual surveyed boundries were a good 50ft different from where they appeared to be on tax maps etc

Maybe the purchase price of the land was included .... lol. No anyone who gets charged that much for surveying 20 acres needs to contact the police and report a major case of robbery that has just taken place.

Here's the actual written estimate....not sure what I am missing here? But again, because of the prices he isn't bothering to get it done.

I can't begin to imagine what would account for a quote like that for only a 20 acre parcel. You all were smart to step  away from that guy. I would have immediately checked out another surveyor that was not quite as interested in ripping off his customers. Don't be afraid to challenge these guys. Perhaps he is planning on doing something super spectacular that you aren't even asking for. I don't know, but that quote for a 20 acre survey is nothing short of ridiculous.

I can't begin to imagine what would account for a quote like that for only a 20 acre parcel. You all were smart to step away from that guy. I would have immediately checked out another surveyor that was not quite as interested in ripping off his customers. Don't be afraid to challenge these guys. Perhaps he is planning on doing something super spectacular that you aren't even asking for. I don't know, but that quote for a 20 acre survey is nothing short of ridiculous.

He was the cheapest of the 3 my dad got quotes from lol

He was the cheapest of the 3 my dad got quotes from lol

Are you kidding? I know it has been a while since I have dealt with surveyors, but that I so far out of whack with any of my experiences or those of anyone I have talked to that it is really hard to imagine those kinds of quotes being anything but blatant highway robbery. It must have something to do with the area.

Anybody else have any experiences with actual survey costs?